Tuesday, August 19, 2014

S.W.E.A.T. Pledge

If you aren’t already a fan of Mike Rowe, you will be soon… Like us, the former host of Discovery Channel’s “Dirty Jobs” believes in ideas like hard work and personal responsibility… ideas that once made America the greatest country in the world, but that are all too rare today.

This week, Mike shared his 12-point “S.W.E.A.T. Pledge” on his Facebook page.

“THE S.W.E.A.T. PLEDGE” (Skill & Work Ethic Aren’t Taboo)
  1. I believe that I have won the greatest lottery of all time. I am alive. I walk the Earth. I live in America. Above all things, I am grateful.
  2. I believe that I am entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Nothing more. I also understand that “happiness” and the “pursuit of happiness” are not the same thing.
  3. I believe there is no such thing as a “bad job.” I believe that all jobs are opportunities, and it’s up to me to make the best of them.
  4. I do not “follow my passion.” I bring it with me. I believe that any job can be done with passion and enthusiasm.
  5. I deplore debt, and do all I can to avoid it. I would rather live in a tent and eat beans than borrow money to pay for a lifestyle I can’t afford.
  6. I believe that my safety is my responsibility. I understand that being in “compliance” does not necessarily mean I’m out of danger.
  7. I believe the best way to distinguish myself at work is to show up early, stay late, and cheerfully volunteer for every crappy task there is.
  8. I believe the most annoying sounds in the world are whining and complaining. I will never make them. If I am unhappy in my work, I will either find a new job, or find a way to be happy.
  9. I believe that my education is my responsibility, and absolutely critical to my success. I am resolved to learn as much as I can from whatever source is available to me. I will never stop learning, and understand that library cards are free.
  10. I believe that I am a product of my choices – not my circumstances. I will never blame anyone for my shortcomings or the challenges I face. And I will never accept the credit for something I didn’t do.
  11. I understand the world is not fair, and I’m OK with that. I do not resent the success of others.
  12. I believe that all people are created equal. I also believe that all people make choices. Some choose to be lazy. Some choose to sleep in. I choose to work my butt off.
Post and Image Credit: The Crux
Share This

41 comments :

  1. Awesome/ I erspecially like I do not “follow my passion.” I bring it with me.

    big hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, they are all good, but that one rocks. :)

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of Mike Rowe before but after reading this, I like him. He's spot on with these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is Ann. We need more people with this though process. :)

      Delete
  3. He certainly has all the right ideas. If only we could abide by these ideas, the world would be such a better place. I sure would like to try. Enjoy your Tuesday Sandee and Zane too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the world would be a much better place indeed Marg. :)

      Delete
  4. I like his philosophy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of hard working folks can relate to this. :)

      Delete
  5. I love this. Is being a Canadian allow me to follow these ideas? Have an unbelievable day Sandee. See ya.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone in the world can follow these ideas Paul. You already did. :)

      Delete
  6. I love it! Gail did, too.
    Sharing.
    Hugs! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because the two of you worked hard for the things you have. :)

      Delete
  7. Wonderful. And good job Sandee for spreading it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love #12, I totally agree. Its the only way!! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Karren. Enjoy your day too honey. :)

      Delete
  9. I would choose to be lazy but my wife has other ambitions for me haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not lazy Bearman. Not one bit. :)

      Delete
  10. Mike Rowe is the best. Loved his dirty job show and also "The Deadliest Catch."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heard of him before this piece. I don't watch television much. :)

      Delete
  11. I have been a fan of Mike Rowe since he did his first dirty job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm a fan of his now. :)

      Delete
  12. I needed this reminder today! I'm following my passion and still feeling burned out and tired today! This reminds me that I'm so lucky to be doing what I love for a living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I felt the same way when I read this. We do get tired and burned out, but if we're doing what we love and following our passion we are doing what we are supposed to be doing. :)

      Delete
  13. Thank you! This is what we need, gratitude and personal responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Gratitude and personal responsibility takes us everywhere we need to go. :)

      Delete
  14. I enjoy watching him on the Dirty jobs he does and now I like him even more! Thanks for sharing Sandee!

    Happy Tortie Tuesday to you! :D Smooches to Little Bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd not heard of him until recently. He's spot on.

      Happy Tortie Tuesday to you too. :)

      Delete
  15. we watch Dirty Jobs & love Mike's attitude on working hard is good for you & there is nothing wrong with it. Hubby bought one of his "Work smart & Hard" graduation posters to encourage kids to not be afraid of working. Smart man.
    Faythe @ GrammyMouseTails

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working hard is a good thing. When you earn what you have one is far more appreciative. :)

      Delete
    2. I totally agree! :)

      Delete
    3. We were made of the same cloth. :)

      Delete
    4. sister across the country ;)

      Delete
  16. These are excellent points to ponder. I like Mike...his humor, his (funny) jobs, and his willingness to try anything. More ppl should follow this list.

    Big hugs, honey...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this entitlement mentality drives me up the wall. Big hugs back. :)

      Delete
  17. Former host? I thought he was still doing that Dirty Jobs show. It's quite good, and he seems like a good guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he does seem like a good guy. :)

      Delete
  18. Realities of life one has to accept and bear-with for an agitation-free life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about this. :)

      Delete
  19. I knew there was something about this guy that I liked. Then there were some commercials featuring his parents and I liked them, too. A good upbringing goes a long way in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured you'd like this guy as much as I do. :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥