Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Cup of Tea

A group of alumni, highly established in their careers, were talking at a reunion and decided to go visit their old university professor, now retired.

During their visit the conversation soon turned into complaints about stress in their work and lives.  Offering his guests tea, the professor went to the kitchen and returned with a large pot of tea and an assortment of cups - porcelain, plastic, glass, crystal, some plain looking, some expensive, some exquisite - telling them to help themselves to the tea.

When all the alumni had a cup of tea in hand, the professor said: "Notice that all the nice-looking, expensive cups were taken up, leaving behind the plain and cheap ones. While it is normal for you to want only the best for yourselves, that is the source of your problems and stress. Be assured that the cup itself adds no quality to the tea. In most cases it is just more expensive and in some cases even hides what we drink. What all of you really wanted was tea, not the cup; but you consciously went for the best cups ... and then you began eying each others cups.

Now consider this: Life is the tea; your job, money and position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold and contain Life. The type of cup one has does not define, nor change the quality of life a person lives. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the tea. The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

Live simply.  Love generously.  Care deeply.  Speak kindly...... And enjoy your tea.

Image Credit: HDDesktop Wallpapers
Share This

22 comments :

  1. What a nice analogy! I would add laugh daily to that summary at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so true! Growing up we had everything we needed but we never had anything as fancy as some of our friends. Our cups definitely had some chips in them!

    Have yourself a perfectly lovely day honey! big hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Well explained, I wish I could print this and keep it posted for a lifetime of referencing.

    And I love the timliness of it as I am neck deep in planning Megan's 3rd Birthday TEA party! Lol. I have tea on the brain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is oh so true Sandee. You put it beautifully. We don't have much. Our life is very simple. But, we are very happy. Heck I don't even have a set of tea cups!! At my place it's hot coffee in randomly collected coffee mugs!!
    Happy day and big hugs!!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I agree with everyone, this is so true. That is such a good story. Hope you have such a good day Sandee and Zane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this story. I think tea and coffee taste better in a porcelain cup. Smart professor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Such a wonderful message in this New Year! Thanks for sharing and have a great day Sandee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love this! so true...

    hugs, bee
    xxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this one, I posted it once too! Thanks for reminding me of it.
    Have a great day Sandee,
    Janet :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great word is wisdom. Attitude is everything.

    Big hugs from rainy So GA, honey...

    ReplyDelete
  11. If he was such a smart professor, why didn't he give them that knowledge when he had them in class..hahah

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess I'm not too old to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As an owner of the fancy teacups, I get the lesson. Sometimes our eyes need to be opened wide. Hugs, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE it. This is absolutely perfect

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great story and lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nicely put. Too many people have great cups, but lousy tea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A very wise analogy from the Professor. I hope it can make them stop complaining. Whatever work we have, it would seem great if we are always grateful.

    Thanks for the great post, Grandma. Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Smart love it I must say people hate my tea(too strong) and my mugs LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. My cup would not have been the envy of anyone else there...gots a picture of a bear peeing on snow with the caption, "A little lemon with your tea?".

    Might be why I don't get invited out much...

    ReplyDelete
  21. How true. Wise words indeed

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree, wonderful story. Sorry I am so late to get here this week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥