Thursday, June 7, 2012

Weird Stuff

Honey is the only food that does not spoil. Honey found in the tombs of Egyptian pharaohs has been tasted by archaeologists and found edible.

To make one kilo of honey bees have to visit 4 million flowers, traveling a distance equal to 4 times around the earth.

An ounce of chocolate contains about 20 mg of caffeine.

There are more than 10,000 varieties of tomatoes.

Each American eats approximately 22 pounds of tomatoes yearly. Over ½ of the tomato consumption is in the form of catsup and sauce.

Peanuts are used in the manufacture of dynamite.

A family of four could live for 10 years from the bread produced by one acre of wheat.

The world's oldest piece of chewing gum is approximately 9000 years old.

Half of the world's population live on a staple diet of rice.

Tea is said to have been discovered in 2737 BC by a Chinese emperor when some tea leaves accidentally blew into a pot of boiling water.

1.5 billion cups of tea are enjoyed throughout the world every day.
Share This

20 comments:

  1. 4 million flowers? Each? Oh, those poor, overworked busy bees. That's going to make me feel extry bad the next time I smoosh one.

    Have a fabulous day, Sandee! big hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound like a lot of work for those bees.
    Love the one about chewing gum. Who would have thunk it is that old.
    Have a really fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lotta interesting stuff to digest, especially that wheat fact. And 10,000 varieties of tomatoes? Who knew? Our kids are having fun with their bee hives. I'll be learning a lot more about bees for sure.

    Have a great day. Big hugs, honey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative and interesting Sandee! Thanks for sharing and have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think i eat more than my share of tomatoes!

    smiles, bee
    xoxoxoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wondering if that chewing gum lost it's flavor or not...

    Bees used to scare me, now they fascinate me. My eldest and her hubby are beekeepers and I got to see a hive up close... it's really, really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gotta admire those industrious bees. I don't like tomatoes very much, and how interesting that peanuts are used in dynamite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Over ½ of the tomato consumption is in the form of catsup and sauce.

    That is all my consumption b/c I hate tomatoes by themself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I just had one of those cups of tea 5 mintues ago...

    Never knew that about honey, that is truly fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's amazing about honey not spoiling & still being eatable after thousands of years

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I know where that old phrase "busy as a bee" comes from. No wonder they will fight to protect their stash!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 9000 year old chewing gum? Why would anyone save a piece of gum that long?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honey, chocolate, tomatoes, tea... That was a post just for me. lol. All of my favorites :)
    Hugs from Ohio,
    I.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How many peanuts does it take to create a crater the size of the Grand Canyon?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sandee, you always find the nicest stuff to put here. I remember back when we didn't have chewing gum. Do you? So then at our house we chewed sealing wax.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yes, we didn't have chewing gum durng WWII. They must have needed the materials to make tires for the jeeps and two-tons.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing statistics on honey and bees!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Honey is nature's first aid kit too. The way nature works is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My wife and I were marveling over all of the neat info you provided. We hadn't heard of a lot of it. Thanks, Sandee!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm one of the "half of the world's population" who can't live without rice :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥