Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Darwin Award

Motorcycle Helmet Law, ex-Protestor
2011 Darwin Award Nominee
Confirmed True by Darwin
(July 2011, New York)

Protesting motorcycle helmet laws, an Onondaga, NY man was participating in a bare-noggin protest ride when he was killed via flipping over the handlebars. The motorcycle accident injured the noggin of Mr. Contos, 55, fatally damaging a brain that was unable to determine the physics of the situation. Moreover, he'd do it again if he could, according to his elder brother. He would have wanted it that way.

Certain laws have physics on their side, obviously, and the laws say one's body cannot walk away from a high-speed physical impact. Laws not subject to repeal. Unprotected--you squash like a bug. Protected--you eat squash for dinner.

Since properly padded and protected men can walk away from a 90-mph crash, protection is prudent when you increase {mass x speed} above a critical threshold.

Prudent, but should protection be mandatory? Robert Frost says, "I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way."

Police said Phil "hit his brakes, fishtailed and went out of control, flipping him over the handlebars." What we, the Darwin Awards committee, would like to know--and news reports don't explain--is just how he went over the handlebars?

Source: Darwin Awards
Share This


  1. My ex-husband owned 2 motorcycles. When I was young and foolish, I rode on the back for a few years. Neither of us ever rode without a helmet. Or gloves. Or a jacket. Or boots. Or...

    I haven't been on the back of a motorcycle in at least 40 years, since the 1 year that 3 accidents happened to other people in our circle of family and friends.

    Have a lovely day honey! xoxo

  2. Honestly, I can see both sides of this. There are many instances where a helmet will save your life. There are also times when the helmet only serves to preserve enough of the victim to make positive identification easier. Just sayin'.

  3. I have never had an connection or to do with motorcycles so can't weigh in this discussion. But I can see both sides of this argument.Take care.

  4. You can't legislate common sense! Ever. My preference is to eat squash:)

    Big hugs, honey...

  5. Supposedly we have those laws here and I know many were grandfathered but I see a bunch of younger guys riding without helmets that don't get pulled over.

  6. All I can say is that Mrs. Chatterbox and I hold our breaths every time our son climbs onto a motorcycle, even with a helmet.

  7. My youngest son ride a motorcycle still. I did until our youngest daughter was born.

    About the no-helmet laws. Texas has one that requires a fairly large amount of health insurance before one can ride without the helmet.

    For sure I don't want taxpayer dollars to pay for their stupid injuries. Nor do I want the price of my hospital services to get higher so those dummies can have free or reduced price services.

    Of course I feel the same way about free electical charges for the electric cars. Electricity IS NOT FREE and you know that the others of us will ending up paying for it one way or another.

    Just sayin',
    I also used seat belts way before it was the law. Back in the 50's because they made me feel more comfortable when driving. I got this from driving the race car, it had a seat belt.

  8. First, I would say he went over the handle bars head first.

    Second, In our state Sandee, the helmet law was pushed by paramedics that had to peel Darwin Award Winners off the pavement.

  9. Interesting post Sandee! Here in Jamaica there are a number of laws including the wearing of a helmet when riding a bike. In recent years the wearing of seatbelts became compulsory. Some persons feel that such laws should not exist. Anyway when one thinks about it, one can't help but realize that one could be saving one's life. Take care and enjoy your day Sandee!

  10. No shortage of Darwin Award nominees ;-)

  11. I submit that this is one reason they are called the Darwin Awards. Can't fix stupid, we have to evolve it out.

  12. What I could never understand is why there is no helmet law but there is a seat belt law. Isn't it more dangerous to ride a motorcycle with no helmet than to drive a car with no seat belt

  13. Dare I say: To each their own! or Be careful what you wish for! Lol. At least he died doing what he believed in. I think :)
    Hugs from Ohio,

  14. He deserves the award.and I would like to know how the knucklehead went over the hadle bars.I've had to dump my bike crashed my bike but never did I endup going over the handlebars.

  15. It's sad some people don't seem to understand the physics behind it.

  16. I dunno about the situation there, but here in my country almost every house has a motorcycle or two, since so many, many, many people rely on motorcycles for their transportation needs. Sad thing is, many people who own and ride motorcycles (especially teenagers who just got their licenses) don't have enough safety awareness, either their own safety or others'. We do have helmet laws, but when people wanna be Valentino Rossi in public streets, those helmet and the law won't do much good. Yes they sometimes help in minimizing the damage but I think it is the safety awareness that matters the most.

  17. LMAO hope they let us know if they find out :-)

    Have a brilliant day :-)

  18. Helmet laws... Seat-belt laws...to many laws.

    I was hung upside down after a traffic accident and I would have been burned alive if I was wearing a SEATBELT.



Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥