Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sea Days

Day two started four days of sea days. The photograph above was our first sea day and hubby found it necessary to take a picture of me on the balcony in my robe. Bless his heart. We had 2,300 miles of ocean to cover before we would cruise into Hilo, Hawaii. That's a lot of ocean to see and during that four days we found it very exciting to see this container ship passing us. Everyone was excited. After a bit there weren't any birds. There didn't seem to be anything but miles and miles of water. Well that's because all there were were miles and miles of water.

We decided to get to know the ship a bit better and spend some time getting to know some of the crew. What a delightful bunch of folks we found too. Two of our favorite people were Miss Nancy and Wayon. They worked the Atrium bar and we spend a bit of time there each day. In the afternoons we would read sitting by the big windows (see the second photograph) and in the evening before dinner we would have some champagne. These two took very good care of us during the entire cruise. Miss Nancy made sure that we always had our favorite champagne and Wayon was always nearby if we needed anything.

On the afternoon of our much awaited Steakhouse dinner we saw this lovely rainbow. Hard to take a great shot, but it sure made us smile. The second photograph is the Filet Mignon that I had that evening. It was absolutely wonderful too.

Saturday, Sunday and Monday evenings found us in the Pharaoh's Palace watching the shows. I wish I could remember what they all were, but I can't (they didn't list the shows in the FunTimes other than Showtime Early Seating. They were fabulous shows each and every one.

The biggest excitement on the cruise to our first port of call was a medical emergency that we just happened to watch while we were working out in the gym. Each morning we would use the treadmill for an hour and we saw a Coast Guard HC-130 Hercules circling the Spirit and found out later that Coast Guard had delivered blood to a sick passenger. Read the story HERE. When we arrived in Hilo the first passenger off the ship was this lady. An ambulance was waiting at the port. She's going to be just fine, and that's great news. Below is the only video I could find about this airdrop. This plane made somewhere around 8-10 trips around the Carnival Spirit before it flew back to its base. Tons of excitement for the entire ship.

Share This

26 comments:

  1. Wow, that was quite a lot of excitement! So glad to hear the woman would be fine. Three cheers to the fine folks that made that all happen.

    Steakhouse... miss that!

    I'm shopping cruises again. Just so ya know.

    Big hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woof! Woof! That is sure lots of TIME on the sea ... For sure you saw lots of beautiful rainbow. Lots of Excitement to come. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    Oh you can join the giveaway you don't have to use FB name ... just regular email. Its a bit confusing n we don't understand why everyone is making FB the universal sign in. Golden Woofs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... that sure is some adventure... especially of the airdrops :)

    That must be a very exciting cruise adventure.. i have been missing a lot of your posts here :) i'll have to go back slowly and read them all.

    I've never been on a cruise.. but they say its all fun.. and eat eat eat on the cruise :) i hope to go one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I'm sure glad the lady will be ok.
    Filet mignon is my fave and hubby would order the t-bone :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have never been on a cruise, but anywhere with that kind of a view -- and towel animals!! -- looks like fun to me!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  6. on our transatlantic trips when sarge would see land he'd say "land ahoy matey" and when he saw a ship he'd say "ship ahoy matey" and i'd always go look. they he started saying other things like "bird ahoy matey"...

    hugs, bee
    xoxoxooxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that drop was pretty exciting. How wonderful that they could do that and that the woman was all right but not a fun trip for her poor thing. Guess you were glad for a little excitement. Take care and have a super day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what a day that was, I am glad she is okay. Oh yea I love filet mingon and lobster, those are my absolute favs when it comes to dining out.

    Have a blessed day Sandee :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love our servicemen and women who serve with the Coast Guard. I have a special place in my heart for them. People forget they are one of FIVE of our nation's protectors (Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, and Navy).

    I know that filet was good. nothing beats a good filet with a glass of nice wine.

    So what's your favorite champagne? Just curious...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad the passenger is OK>Thanks in part to our brave men and women of the US Coast guard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to see you treated yourself to a balcony. Some people say it's an unnecessary expense but Mrs. Chatterbox and I love our balconies and spend a lot of time on them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds like a great trip. The steak looks amazing! Sounds like a lot of excitement on that ship. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like quite the adventure.I have the same picture of my wife from our last cruise. Reading your story has got me wanting to go cruising again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that trip didn't turn out so good for that poor woman, glad to hear she was alright.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad the lady is okay.

    It must be strange to literally be out in the middle of the ocean with nothing around for thousands of miles. You wonder how the ancient mariners did it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was very interesting reading this post and seeing the pictures Sandee. You certainly had some exciting times. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow..what an exciting trip :) glad the lady did fine..

    and oh..there must be lots of Filipino crews in that ship..right?

    I enjoyed viewing your photos..specially your "robe/balcony" shot..:) Have a nice day Sandee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad that woman is going to be okay, I bet that was a very scary experience for her!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sea days do get long, don't they, Sandee? ~~ I wouldn't be wanting that rescue but since it had to happen I am glad you got it for your ship on your watch.

    Nice post about cruising the open sea. I couldn't help but think of Amelia Earhart. Poor soul. A while back I read a historical novel about her and her navigator's last flight. It all seemed real, the book was really good.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would make a wild guess that both Ms Nancy and Wayon are Filipinos. LOL, we are in all corners of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bee's comment made me laugh. I can SO hear Sarge saying all that:)

    Lovely cruise...just perfect, well, except for that medical emergency. I saw that online when it happened and knew you two were there for that unwanted excitement. Glad the lady was OK.

    Big hugs, honey...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love that rainbow! Glad you enjoyed the shows and that the sick woman is going to be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think I would enjoy being stuck out in the middle of the ocean miles from land. Especially when there are well stocked bars, and restaurant that I can visit!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is quite a bit of excitement. Wow. It looked the drop was pretty far from the ship, in the video, but it sounds like it all worked out ok.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your stories It's just like being there with you reading them, as soon as i saw the word Steakhouse dinner my mouth was watering heheh!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It never ceases to amaze me how high they stack those container ships. Apparently they reckon they often lose containers in rough seas. I wonder just how much cargo is on the ocean floor. Stunning rainbow photo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥