Saturday, February 25, 2012

Proverbs - Part I

A first grade teacher collected well-known proverbs. She gave each child in her class the first half of a proverb and asked them to come up with the remainder of the proverb. It's hard to believe these were actually done by first graders. Their insight may surprise you. While reading these keep in mind that these are first graders...

Better to be safe than - punch a 5th grader.

Strike while - the bug is close.

It's always darkest before - Daylight Saving Time.

Never underestimate the power of - termites.

You can lead a horse to water but - how?

Don't bite the hand that - looks dirty.

No news is - impossible.

A miss is as good as a - Mr.

You can't teach an old dog new - math.

If you lie down with dogs, you'll - stink in the morning.

Love all, trust - me.

The pen is mightier than the - pigs.

An idle mind is - the best way to relax.
Share This


  1. Reminds me of the old Art Linkletter show... Kids really DO say the darnedest things.

    Happy Weekend! At last! Big hugs xoxo

  2. if you lie down with dogs, you'll stink in the morning reminds me that Duke needs a bath this weekend :)

  3. LOL, Don't you love Ann. Duke needs a bath. Those really are amazing but what a good idea to do the proverbs. Take care and have a great week end.

  4. don't bite the hand that looks dirty for sure! lol

    smiles, bee

  5. Kids really are creative. Love their little imaginations.

    Have a great w/e. Big hugs, honey...

  6. golden words of tiny tots, interesting!
    have a great day!

  7. Cool kids! And they are only first graders!?

  8. The things kids say. They're honesty is always instructional and often humorous.

  9. So when do kids start getting stupid? haha

  10. Wow and these are our future leaders?

    The X box generation...


  11. I think I'll have to try this out on my son!

  12. Many of those make perfect sense to me. Maybe there is some hope for the future!

  13. Being somewhat of an old dog myself, I can fully understand that part about not being able to teach old dogs new math! I used to have a horrible time trying to help out the girls with their math homework as it was all over my head!

  14. But too many idle minds turn into politicians.

  15. THose are cute, Sandee! :)
    She could have givin the starts to eight graders and they would be similar.
    Probably high school kids too.

  16. Kids can be quite amazing with what they come up with! I love the first one, it is better to be safe then to punch a 5th grader :)
    My kids come up with some good ones, I should try this with them!

  17. Strike while the bug is close... LOVE IT!!!!!

  18. Thanks for the giggles. Thanks for always stopping by and commenting on Gracie's blog. It always makes our day! Have a great one yourself!

  19. hahahaha!!! kids are smart..don't you think? I soo love them!!

  20. Some of those are priceless. A miss is just as good as a Mr. Good thing they still teach that. Ha HA.


Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥