Tuesday, February 21, 2012

More Suthenism's

Only a Southerner knows the difference between ahissie fit and aconniption fit, and that you don't "HAVE" them, you "PITCH" them.

Only a Southerner knows how many fish, collard greens, turnip greens, peas, beans, etc., make up "a mess."

Only a Southerner can show or point out to you the general direction of "yonder."

Only a Southerner knows exactly how long"directly" is, as in: "Going to town, be back directly."

All Southerners know exactly when "by and by" is. They might not use the term, but they know the concept well.

Only a Southerner knows instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken, ice tea, and a big bowl of cold potato salad. If the neighbor's trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a large banana puddin'!

Only Southerners grow up knowing the difference between "right near" and "a right far piece." They also know that "just down the road" can be 1 mile or 20.

Only a Southerner both knows and understands the difference between a redneck, a good ol' boy, and Po white trash.

No true Southerner would ever assume that the car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to make a turn.

A Southerner knows that "fixin" can be used as a noun, a verb, or an adverb.

Only Southerners make friends while standing in lines, .... and when we're "in line,"... we talk to everybody!

Hat tip: My Alabama buddies Dave and Linda
Share This


  1. Makes me wanna move south. Hahahaha!Have a great Fat Tuesday, Sandee! :)

  2. That is all so very true. I am surrounded by 'rednecks' as neighbors. It is a whole different breed of people. The fried chicken and potato salad is the staple down here. It is a great place to live. Take care Sandee and have a great day.

  3. Ah'm fixin' ta head yonder shortly for a mess o' fish...and ah'm from Iowah.... ;-)

  4. Very interesting! Feel like visiting Southerners and learn their vocabulary.
    Have a great day!

  5. and there is only ONE word in the english language that has 2 apostrophes, all y'all's (as in "i brought you a coconut cake so all y'all's leasuns (least ones - young children) can hep' theyselves". coconut cake is very important in the south. it means "love".

    smiles, bee

  6. The best Southern direction I got was, "Ya foller the road until you come to a fork in the road. Then you stay on the road until you get there." Huh? Which fork do I take? "You just foller the road."

    Yes, I got lost.

  7. I thought that turn signal thing was a Jersey thing...but I guess South Jersey is considered the South. lol We have enough red necks here.

  8. Now that I'm armed with a Southern Slang dictionary I can finally venture into the South. Thanks.

  9. Ya jest foller this here road a piece 'til you git t'whare the ol' red barn use ta be...

    Now I want coconut cake!

    Big hugs xoxo

  10. These are all great too, Sandee!
    I got called 'Honey' in the store yesterday.
    Mrs. Jim's favorie solace is a cake and a pot of chicken and sausage gumbo. She brought that to a friend the week before last. For sick people she brings potato soup.
    I made some once and put the recipe on by blog. http://jimmiehov.blogspot.com/search?q=potato+soup

  11. yep those are southerners... Tonight I'm making a mess of clams...


  12. I think I would like it in the south :)

  13. I'm not in real trouble, but I don't mind saying I am if I can get a large banana pudding. Delicous!

  14. We can be standing in any line for any reason and within a few minutes, my wife has a new friend.

  15. I want to visit South :) and experience them first hand :D have a nice day!!

  16. trudat!..we in the Big Apple sure don't have that hospitality..wooooooooooo!..lol..xoxoxox

  17. I want a mess of fried chicken directly.

  18. Shugah, you just tole the absolute God's truth! I understood them all, of course. It's gettin' late, so I'm fixin' to go to bed soon.

    Big hugs, honey...

  19. I could go for a big dose of Suth'ern Solace right about now!

  20. I loved all of these! You really made me have a hankerin' for returning to Virginia, Sandee. :)


Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥