Thursday, February 9, 2012

Hilo Hawaii

Finally we see land on the 5th day and we are all excited about getting off the ship to explore Hilo. Coming into port was awesome as it had been so many days of just the ocean, a container ship and the air drop of blood.

We were back in civilization and it felt good, not that we minded the sea days.

The first vehicle we see is the ambulance that took the lady to the hospital that had the medical emergency and had the blood drop from the Coast Guard. She was the first off the ship and rightly so.

While we were waiting for the bus to our excursion it rained to beat the band. It rains a lot in Hilo each year (about 130 inches per year).

We had already set up an shore excursion to Volcano National Park, so we were looking forward to seeing an active volcano...from a distance that is. Little did we know that a couple of people that we had met on the ship were taking the same tour, so we hung out together all day. Meet Dave and Linda from Alabama. We just loved them both. Notice the short sleeves? Yes, it's warm in Hawaii.

The next picture is a sight seen all over Hawaii. The ponds and gardens are just beautiful and most of all plentiful. Isn't this just gorgeous? I thought you'd think so.

Mauna Loa began erupting between 700,000 and 1,000,000 years ago and has grown steadily since then. Like all of the Hawaiian islands, Mauna Loa has its origins in the Hawaii hotspot—a plume of magma rising from deep in the Earth's mantle. The hotspot remains in a fixed position, while the Pacific Plate drifts over it at a rate of about 4 inches (10 cm) per year. The upwelling of the hot magma creates volcanoes, and each individual volcano erupts for a few million years before the movement of the plate carries it away from the rising magma.

The hotspot has existed for at least 80 million years, and the Emperor Seamounts chain of old volcanoes stretches almost 3,600 miles (5,800 km) away from the hotspot. Currently, the hotspot feeds activity at five volcanoes: Mauna Loa, Kīlauea, and Hualālai on the Big Island, Haleakalā on Maui, and Loʻihi, a submarine volcano south of the Big Island and the youngest Hawaiian volcano. Mauna Loa is the largest of these, although Kīlauea is currently the site of the most intense volcanic activity. Source: Wikipedia (Mauna Loa)
Share This


  1. After many days of water... it is always a big relief to see land :) Hawaii looks beautiful... and the volcanic mountains is awesome!.. from a safe distance :)
    thanks for sharing your travel diary Sandee.

  2. Woof! Woof! Many thinks that it is always sunny in Hawaii ... when it rains its RAINS. Golden Thanks for sharing your Big Island Photos. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

  3. Wow, what fun to see a volcano. Or sorta see one. That all looks so pretty. Thanks for sharing all this with us. Take care.

  4. My nephew has been to HI twice, so far, and he loves it. He did the helicopter over the volcano thingy.

    While it was erupting.


    No, than you. :)

    Sounds like fun so far honey. Big hugs xoxo

  5. I had no idea these volcanic hotspots were 80 million years old. I'd have thought they were much more recent. The things we learn!

  6. I would have been lifted off that boat by air ambulance after one day, seeing all that water :)

    I imagine it's a dream for people who love the sea!

  7. That's a lot of OLD...and beauty. I knew y'all would be having fun.

    Big hugs, honey...

  8. Wow, you can get that close to the hotspots? I'd be sooo chicken. I'm so glad you all had fun.

    I've never been to Hawaii...I know that after these pics I'll want to go.

    Hugs to you both!

  9. On my Bucket list, see Hawaii. I personally enjoyed the sea days when we get to go cruising, peace and quiet for a bit.
    Thanks for sharing the pictures, I'm sure that's the excursion I would have taken, too. Not sure about the wife though.

  10. Next time we visit Hawaii we've gotta see one of these volcanoes! Looks like quite an experience. Love the gardens!

  11. Hawaii looks like an amazing place to explore. The ponds and gardens look like great places to unwind. And the volcanoe looks like an amazing thing to get close too.

  12. I see land! Yay :)
    Active volcano! Wow! Wish I was there :)

  13. Looks like a terrific trip.

    The video is up now. I am having trouble with blogger erasing videos when I schedule something ahead of time. I hate it when that happens.

  14. I've always wanted to go to Hawaii and seeing all your pictures makes me want to go even more

  15. my internet is back on! woo hoo!

    i knew you'd make friends wherever you went, you are just the sweetest couple there is. so happy you made this cruise too!

    hugs, bee

  16. Hawaii always looks so nice, and it must have been great to see a real volcano firsthand.

  17. Oh I just LOVE the photos! I can't imagine all the wonderful things you are seeing. Thank you for sharing!

  18. Love your pictures, Sandee. I am very envious. Mrs. Jim says she doesn't think we need to go back. We even missed a great-niece's wedding over there.

    We stayed on Hawaii, (the Big Isle) for ten days. Six days and seven nights was the Bible school for the teens on Mauna Kea State Park.

    I think it was Mauna Loa that we had a night picnic. The volcano area was all firey red, pretty and bright.

    Oh yes, short pants are the dress of the day also besides the short sleeves. Even in church.

  19. Thank you for sharing your photos..meeting new friends is one of the best thing that happens when you travel :)

  20. I also love photos. Thanks for sharing these. Looks beautiful.

  21. Wow! Awesome photos Sandee. There are definitely interesting places to see on Hilo!


Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥