Friday, February 17, 2012

Feline Physics Laws

Law of Cat Inertia

A cat at rest will tend to remain at rest, unless acted upon by some outside force - such as the opening of cat food, or a nearby scurrying mouse.

Law of Cat Motion

A cat will move in a straight line, unless there is a really good reason to change direction.

Law of Cat Magnetism

All blue blazers and black sweaters attract cat hair in direct proportion to the darkness of the fabric.

Law of Cat Thermodynamics

Heat flows from a warmer to a cooler body, except in the case of a cat, in which case all heat flows to the cat.

Law of Cat Stretching

A cat will stretch to a distance proportional to the length of the nap just taken.

Law of Cat Sleeping

All cats must sleep with people whenever possible, in a position as uncomfortable for the people involved, and as comfortable as possible for the cat.

Law of Cat Elongation

A cat can make her body long enough to reach just about any counter top that has anything remotely interesting on it.

Law of Cat Obstruction

A cat must lay on the floor in such a position to obstruct the maximum amount of human foot traffic.

Law of Cat Acceleration

A cat will accelerate at a constant rate, until he gets good and ready to stop.

Law of Dinner Table Attendance

Cats must attend all meals when anything good is served.

Law of Rug Configuration

No rug may remain in its naturally flat state for very long.

Law of Obedience Resistance

A cat's resistance varies in proportion to a human's desire for her to do something.

First Law of Energy Conservation

Cats know that energy can neither be created nor destroyed and will, therefore, use as little energy as possible.
Share This


  1. Fun! Law of cat motion is my favorite.

  2. A cat can make her body long enough to reach just about any counter top that has anything remotely interesting on it, especially when cats are Not Allowed on the counter top.

    I acquiesced years ago... they now eat on the island of my counter. I count it as a win for me because it's easier to clean up after them.

    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

    Big hugs xoxo

  3. Thanks for such a comprehensive list about cat laws of physics. All of these apply!

  4. Hey! I think my Zoe is half a cat! Hahaha!
    Have a great weekend, Sandee!

  5. Goodness, those are all so very true. I have six cats that sleep with me and they do their darndest to make sure I am not comfortable. And what fun to play with the Mom's toes if she happens to move them. Have a great week end Sandee.

  6. i had a black cat once that "watched" a mouse walk right by him and then he fell back asleep...

    smiles, bee

  7. Nice one. Let me add one more law-
    "Cat's Law of Uniformity of Nature"
    A cat always chases a rat irrespective of its nationality and race.
    have a great day!

  8. Obedience resistance... So true!!!!

  9. That explains so much. Now that I have another cat roaming around, it helps to keep these in mind. Thanks.

  10. Thanks for the kind words. I am sooo happy. Have a great weekend.

    Big hugs,

  11. All of these were true of every cat I ever had.

  12. I recall as a young boy we had several yard cats on the farm! Not pets, but great for catching rats. I always wanted to pet one and they on a warm sunny summer day a sneaked upon one who was sleeping and soaking up the rays and grabbed the beautiful furry critter---oops big mistake. I had the scars for some weeks. Yes they will remain still unless something attacts their attention or disturbs their sleep!

  13. Absolutely, positively brilliant! You know my two kitties well:)

    Glad you are feeling better. Have a great w/e. I am having a girlie party here on the patio Saturday. WYWH! Miss you. Sniff, sniff.

    Big hugs, honey...

  14. A cat must lay on the floor in such a position to obstruct the maximum amount of human foot traffic.

    That is what cats try, it is what Black Labs DO!

  15. I love this Sandee. I am a big time cat lover, I have two 17 and 3. Their my kids, lol!

    Have an awesome weekend honey :)


  16. law of rug configuration is also followed by dogs :)

  17. Please tell me you'll do a dog series as well.

  18. Law of landing on your feet:

    a cat when dropped for hardly any distance at all, like two or three feet, will contort its body so as to land on it feet.

    Note: when dropped too far it is liable to break a leg. But it will still land feet first.

  19. That pretty much sums up cats. Having grown with a quiet a few them I know most them share the same traits...

  20. Cats are definitely the rulers of their universe.

  21. Cats are the rulers of their universe, your universe, my universe, all universes including some you don't know about.

  22. My fave was

    Law of Dinner Table Attendance

    Have a brilliant week :-)

  23. The Law of Cat Inertia & the Law of Cat Motion can be directly affected by the Law of Cat Chasing Dogs


Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥