Friday, January 13, 2012

What Do You Make?

The dinner guests (which included a doctor, a lawyer, an engineer and a teacher) were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to address the importance of financial success and choosing a career that assured it. To stress his point he unabashedly said to another guest; "You're a teacher, Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?"

Teacher Bonnie replied, "You want to know what I make? (She paused for a second, then began...)
  • Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.
  • I make a children receiving an A or B for their work feel like Congressional Medal of Honor winners.
  • I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can't make them sit for 5 minutes without an I Pod, Game Cube or movie rental.
You want to know what I make? She paused again and looked at each and every person at the table.
  • I make kids wonder.
  • I make them question.
  • I make them apologize and mean it.
  • I make them have respect for others and take responsibility for their actions.
  • I teach them how to write and then I make them write. Keyboarding isn't everything.
  • I make them read, read, read.
  • I make them show all their work in math. They use their God given brain, not the man-made calculator.
  • I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe.
  • Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life.
Bonnie looked at the CEO, paused one last time and then continued. Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, with me knowing money isn't everything, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention. You want to know what I make? I make a difference in all your lives, educating your children and preparing them to become CEOs, doctors and engineers ... What do you make?

His jaw dropped and the other guests were silent.

Hat tip: Dr. Vern and Taylor Mali
Share This


  1. That is why i have the highest respect for teachers. I was once a teacher in my life :) I know how hard it is to become one because you are molding someone.

    Have a good weekend Sandee!

  2. We should all make a difference. What a world it would be.

  3. Brilliant. If we were a sane society, and paid for value provided, teachers would drive a Rolls Royce, and ball-players would be taking the bus to work. Shows you how messed up our value system is doesn't it. Great Post today.

  4. Being the mother of two (excellent) teachers, I applaud this post! It is so true. Mike is spot on with the value comparison, a position that I have long held.

    Big hugs from chilly FL, honey...

  5. Wish I had a smart teacher like that! It's a hard job; I could not do it :)
    Have a great weekend, Sandee!

  6. Goodness, that is one of the best posts I have seen. Our teachers are the very best and so needed in this world. Take care Sandee.

  7. Excellent!

    I think money should not be the object.
    Interesting how it was never Steve Jobs' object.

  8. Very Poignant! Much food for thought here.

  9. Right on! And you know that I have a sister, a nephew and a niece who are teachers, so I feel quite passionately about this subject.

    Have a lovely day, honey! Packing, no doubt? Big hugs xoxo

  10. Loved it and put them to shame :-) heheh!

    Have a a great weekend

  11. It takes a special person to be a teacher and an even more special person to be a good teacher.

    I salute them all!

  12. My wife is a also teacher. She used to put forth the same views when we argue sometimes. Great job!

  13. Have a wonderful weekend!

    Big hugs,

  14. Great post. I had mostly wonderful teachers with a few bad. Thanks for for the smiles.

  15. Only had one teacher that really was awful..the rest were inspiring.

  16. yeah! i have too when i was still in my college years! and that is not good after all. well, thank you for the share.
    homes for sale in fl

  17. Good teachers who have a true passion for their job are an inspiraton and I know how hard they work. If only they all felt the way Bonnie does...

  18. now that's a good teacher

  19. Love this Sandee! The teacher hit the nail on the head!

  20. But CEO's are too busy making money to do anything important.

  21. And the good ones do all of the above. BRAVO!!!

  22. Good one, Sandee! It makes me proud to have been a teacher.
    Oh yes, I was also an engineer and a lawyer. :)

  23. Sometimes the wealthy hob nobs that are too overly concerned with their own self importance lose sight of what's really important in life. Excellent post Sandee

  24. This comment is directed to MAB (no link so don't know who this person is). I didn't know who the author of this piece was. I got it from Dr. Vern. Plain and simple.

    I would have been happy to cite the appropriate person and have. I just want you to know that you are one rude individual. Just saying, and no I'm not going to publish your rude comment.

    Have a terrific day, if you can. :)


Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥