Friday, November 4, 2011

Grandpa's Cellar

This is why I didn't show up for work yesterday. I was cleaning out my wife's grandpa's cellar and found 12 bottles of his home-bottled grape wine under the steps. My wife told me to empty the contents of each and every bottle down the sink, or else. I agreed to do the unpleasant task.

I withdrew the cork form the first bottle and poured the contents down the sink, with the exception of one glass, which I drank. I extracted the cork from the second bottle, did likewise, and drank one glass, just to check the taste to see if the old fellow knew his wine making. He did.

I then opened the third bottle, and poured it, too, down the sink, but not until drinking one full glass to check the purity. It was very good. I did this, also with the fourth bottle. One glass for myself, and the rest down the sink. I pulled the bottle from the cork of the next, and drank one sink out of it and threw the rest down the glass. I pulled the sink out of the next glass and poured the cork from the bottle, then corked the sink with the glass, bottled the drink and drank the pour.

When I had everything emptied, I steadied the house with one hand, counted the bottles, corks, glasses and sinks with the other, which were 29, and as the house came by I counted them again, and finally had all the houses in one bottle, which I drank. I felt so foolish that I couldn't go upstairs and congratulate my wife to tell her what a great winemaker her grandpa was. I will do that after climbing the basement steps the next time they come by.

♪♪Happy Birthday to you,♪♪
♪♪Happy Birthday to you,♪♪
♪♪Happy Birthday Dear Empress Bee,♪♪
♪♪Happy Birthday to you.♪♪
Share This


  1. hahaha!! her grandpa surely made some very good wine!!

    Happy Birthday Empress Bee!!


  2. That's a LOT of wine, buddy!

    I don't know how good it is yet but my sisterdear Lynda and Rick have made 2 batches of wine; a Cabernet Sauvignon and a Blackberry Port in half-bottles. They are now bottled, labeled and aging in their wine fridge. There's a bottle of each batch with MY name on them - my fee for designing the wine labels. :)

    Happy Friday! big hugs from me and the Gs xoxo

  3. I'm drunk just reading that

  4. Mom was laughing out loud. Loved it. A very Happy Birthday to Empress Bee. We sure hope she has a terrific day.
    Sandee you have a super day too. Take care.

  5. You got me intoxicated just by reading it.. hahhahahahahhaa

  6. good one! and thank you, it's medicare day!

    smiles, bee

  7. TGIF! I think tonight I might drink a glass or two myself.

  8. nice one... old is gold!
    have a great weekend!

  9. Hahahahaha! I knew it: basements are dangerous :)
    Happy birthday, Ms. Bee!!!!!

  10. We will become spirited with this
    too!!! Happy Birthday Empress Bee
    lalalala...lala! lalalala...lala

  11. Hahahahaha1 Cheers!

    Have a brilliant weekend :-)

  12. Your fun story comes on the heels of my watching Ken Burns' series on Prohibition, which I watched with a glass of Jack Daniels in my hand. Thank goodness for our industrious grandpas. Mine made great apricot and peach brandy.

  13. I have never sampled home made wine, and by the sounds of things I have been missing out big time. I need to get in on this.

    Have a great weekend...

  14. That's pretty funny!

  15. I would have been done for after the second
    Happy Birthday to Empress Bee

  16. I've been there,or at least I think I was there. It's not easy catching moving stairs.Have a great weekend.

  17. Been there, done that! I use to make wine from blackberries years ago. Sampling always turned into drinking!

  18. Such a shame to have dumped all that sink down the wine ... or was that wine down the sink?!?

    Hope you and Zane have a great weekend!

  19. If you mix white wine with red, does it turn pink?


  20. Love it, Sandee.
    Your story reminds me of my college dropout days. My buddy's uncle made wine in his basement. Most every evening when we would go someplace we would bring a quart jar or two of his wine along. I don't know that the uncle ever missed it.

    Happy Birthday, Empress Bee!


Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥