Friday, October 28, 2011

Mo and Babs

I received this email from a blogging buddy that many of you know and love. I feel so bad for her and we had a close friend that was burglarized last weekend that lost his computers and all his data. But Babs has lost her blog entirely.

 Back up your blogs folks. Back up all your important things. Anyway, here's the message from Babs.
Hi all

I have no blog now. My web host had a server go down and they have lost my data. This email address is a replacement until I can sort a more permanent situation out.

All those years of writing and photos gone. If I start up again, I will totally do things differently. I never keep my blog photos once they are posted, and I trusted my host to keep a backup of my data. I paid for the service, but I hold out little hope that they have a backup safe now. What makes me even sicker is that I downloaded a backup two weeks ago, to make a duplicate for testing purposes. Once I had uploaded the duplicate, I trashed the backup! can you believe that? Only I would do that.

Of all the thousands of sites they host, why does mine have to be one of those they can't restore?

Could you please spread the word that I won't be reading and commenting on blogs for a while. I have to at least try to recover my 50's and 60's stories from a web site (wayback.archive) Jaffer sent me. It will be a slow process I imagine, but I really don't want to lose those memories.

Que Sera Sera.

Babs x
Share This


  1. That totally bites! Lots of wonderful stories on her blog. I often go back and re-read the ones about her family...Dang!

  2. I am really sorry about this. This post is so timely for me. I did the first back up of my files over 1 month ago and I have been getting the notice that it is time to backup again and I have not yet done so. Wake up call! The message has just popped up again! Thanks for sharing this Sandee and I hope your friend will be able to get going again quickly despite the loss. Take care and my best wishes to you and your friend.

  3. UGH!

    I've been preaching, "Backup, Backup, Backup" for decades. Most people find it annoying when I do that but really, it's just so easy to do and so horrible if you don't.

    I use to burn everything to CDs. Now I use Carbonite. And flash drives. And Flickr. And Facebook. And multiple blogs to import to. AND CD's. Why? Because I once went to restore from a backup and it was corrupted. So now I have more than one backup. In case my backup fails.

    Because sometimes, they do.

    The End. :)

    big hugs xoxo

  4. I feel bad for her. I went through the same thing. Now I back up on the server and my hard drive and my removable hard drive.

  5. Every week I back up my blog and I used Carbonite to back up my puter. Almost lost everything when a computer crashed and don't want to relive it.

    Great advice.

  6. Hugs to y'all! Big hugs!

  7. That's terrible! I don't even know how to back up a blog.


  8. ditto what Joyce said.

  9. Backing up is very important, yet no one ever thinks it will happen to them. If you don't know how to back up your blog or computer files, learn how to do it!

  10. What a shame! But thank you for the reminder. I save my template and export my blog from Blogger every so often, but I really need to burn a disc of the files.

  11. That is awful I would have been so angry, I do do back ups but not recently but will be now.

    I hope she gets what she can sorted, I feel for her :-(

  12. RATS!

    I also don't know how to back up my blog.

    Perhaps a tutorial is in order?


    Just sayin'.

    Hugs! xoxooxoxox and big hugs to poor Babs who lost her blog!

  13. It has been too long since I last backed up my blog. I'm going to do it right now.

    A few months ago, I totally deleted my blog by mistake, but thankfully my host saved the day...good host!

  14. I back up nearly every week and I also subscribe via email to my blog, and I keep each post. Another thing I was told to do, I backup before I make any changes or add any plugins. I am so sorry to hear this story.

  15. I recently had to restore my computer, but didn't lose my pics since they're on Facebook and photobucket. However, how do I back up my blog? Scary ... help!


Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥