Thursday, October 20, 2011

The British

Why did the British wear red coats in battle?

During the recent royal wedding, the millions around the world saw that Prince William chose to wear a uniform that included the famous British "red coat." Many people have asked, "why did the British wear red coats in battle?"

A long time ago, Britain and France were at war. During one battle, the French captured a British Colonel. They took him to their headquarters, and the French General began to question him.

Finally, as an afterthought, the French General asked, "Why do you British officers all wear red coats? Don't you know the red material makes you easier targets for us to shoot at?"

In his casual, matter-of-fact, way, the officer informed the General that the reason British officers wear red coats is so that if they are shot, the blood won't show, and the men they are leading won't panic.

And that is why, from that day forward, all French Army officers wear brown trousers.

Hat tip: Frank of Foxxfyrre's Honk'n'Holl'r
Share This

22 comments:

  1. I loved that punch line. I am French but have decided to say Canadian French only.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahaha! Ah, ze French... ooh la la! I always wanted to visit France until I heard a certain CD...

    big hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes perfect sense to me.


    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every French soldier also carries a very large white handkerchief. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Driller stole my line... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And that is the rest of the story!

    Cruising tomorrow. WYWH. Big hugs, honey...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funniest thing about that, it's true. I had read that a few years back. The French won't admit why they wear brown trousers, but, it's not hard to guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahah. I haven't heard that one. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard that one either and it is truly funny. You learn something every day. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ahhh, france! one place sarge would never take me... didn't want anything to do with the place! good joke today!

    smiles, bee
    oxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha, that's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These historical facts still provide good fashion tips, particularly the brown pants.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! I didn't see the punch line coming on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always wondered about that. But it sounds like a catch 22 situation to me. If you don't wear red, you might not bleed as much. And what about the blue bloods?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those French are the butt of so many jokes...and deservedly so...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it!

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I guess that works, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hahaha!! I always wondered too why Red? now I know...:D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Too funny. Red it blood, brown it . . .LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥