Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Bay Cruise - Part I

Om September 28th we left home and headed for our boat. We had a full afternoon of getting ready to leave for Pittsburg, Ca the next morning to begin our annual bay cruise. It was very warm and we got everything loaded on our boat and hubby fired up our little runabout (a 185 Sea Ray) and he headed to Ebony Boat Club while I drove to Ebony Boat Club to pick him up.

The water was flat and he got to Ebony in about 40 minute. About the same time as it took me. We dropped off the little boat (needed it for youth day on October 8th) and headed back to our boat.

Off to Pittsburg we went the next morning. The water was calm and the sailing was easy. We arrived in about three hours and gassed up and pumped out. We then purchased one night at their dock and just relaxed for the rest of the day. It was windy, but it's almost always windy in Pittsburg.

The next morning we heard from one of our other boats that were due to go to Benicia that they weren't coming because of a small craft advisory and their boat leaks a bit and they didn't want to take the chance of getting their boat wet on the inside. We listened to the weather report as we always do and didn't hear a thing about a small craft advisory. So off we went. We should have stayed where we were.

We left Pittsburg and within a few minutes we were in some pretty rough water. Okay it was the worst water I've ever experienced. We aren't novices at boating so we continued on. The further we got into Suisun Bay the worse the water became. The photograph below will give you an idea of what a large body of water we traversed. We came from the top of this photograph under the bridge and into Benicia.
We were riding the tide out and the wind was coming directly at us. Large rollers coming at us and the bow of the boat would be all you would see and then the boat would then drop to the water. Bam. The bow would go up and then bam, the bow would hit the water. We did this for nearly two hours. We finally made it to Benicia and we both wanted to kiss the ground when we tied up and got off the boat. One thing we found out though is we know how to secure things prior to sailing. Nothing was broken. What a way to start our bay cruise.

Tomorrow: Benicia and beyond
Share This


  1. You're tough. I would have wanted to turn back. Especially after I just watched The Perfect Storm again. srsly.

    Big hugs from the scaredy cat xoxo

  2. Woof! Woof! WOW! My mom does not do well being inside a boat ...
    Lots of Golden Thanks for your blogversary wishes. Delighted to be bloggie friends. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

  3. I would have been freaking out big time Sandee, I am proud of you and hubby for boating on. I am a big chicken, lol!

    Have an awesome day ((HUGS))

  4. Well that sure sounds really scary. Sure glad you got to your destination safely. I bet you were glad you got on solid ground. Now I have to nervous every time you go sailing or boating. Take care.

  5. Great job Sandee. I love being on a boat. But I have to admit that it has to be calm waters. Glad all went well.

  6. What an adventure! I'm sure you don't want to do that again. I would be so sea sick from the ups and downs.

    Glad you made it.

  7. Not a fun trip, at least that part. Great job on getting to safety.

    Big hugs, honey...

  8. so glad you got there safe and sound! you're tough, i knew you could take it! good girl!

    hugs, bee

  9. It sounds like quite the adventure.

  10. Glad ya'll made it to Benicia safe and sound ... beautiful picture!

  11. You are really brave, I must say.
    And I must admit I've been boating in similar weather conditions up here in Norway, Sweden and Germany.
    Not what you dream about...
    But you learn how to handle the wind and waves regarding navigationg besides how to secure all your stuff onboard.
    I think you had weather for Windsurfers...

    Here is the weather different

  12. Yikes.

    I'm hoping the rest of the cruise was less eventful.

    But great job on nothing being broken! A good test of those securing skills.

  13. There are all sorts of wonderful places in California that I have yet to see. I would love to spend some time visiting here.

  14. I've been in rough waters and it's not fun at all! The ups and downs are not fun... you feel them long after the ride.

    Glad to hear you made it safely.

  15. Hubby and yourself have done a great job!

  16. You are great sailors! I'm glad you are both ok :)

  17. oh my I would have been scared to death. Good thing you guys are experienced and know what you are doing

  18. but we made it safe

  19. Wowee!

    Glad nothing was broken. How did little bit like the big waves?

  20. With rough seas like that, I would've headed for shore!

  21. You both are tough... good thing you guys are ok.... thank god! that's a rough start to any boating trip.

    hope you are having a great day today!

  22. Wow! What a story! The "bam"'s got me. How scary. I am glad you made it safely through. And of course nothing broke. You guys are THAT good.

    I really am glad you made it through safely. Just thinking of all of the things that could have happened to you and your craft scares the bejeebers out of me.

    Hugs! xoxoox

  23. Wow, Sandee, that must have been an awful ride. I am glad that there would be better days soon.

  24. What an adventure!!!
    Well, it's all downhill from there, or something like that in sailor-speak.


Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥