Friday, September 30, 2011

Words - Part II

Many words and phrases we use do have an interesting background. Here are some of the wonderful words and the spicy details about them.

Coca-Cola was originally green.

The most common name in the world is Mohammad.
The name of all the continents end with the same letter that they start with Asia, America, Australia, Europe.

The strongest muscle in the body is the TONGUE.

TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.

Women BLINK nearly twice as much as men!!

You can't kill yourself by holding your breath.

It is impossible to lick your elbow.

Wearing HEADPHONES for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.

It is physically impossible for PIGS to look up into the sky.

The "sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick" is said to be the toughest tongue twister in the English language.

Hat tip: Rajagopalan of Just Out
Share This


  1. Ok, I tried to lick my elbow... Bwahahahaahahahahahahaaha!

    I can tie a cherry stem into a knot with my tongue!

  2. That typewriter one surprised me i never even thought about it or saw it.

    No wonder they changed the colour of Cola lol

    Have a brilliant weekend Sandee :-)

  3. I am not good at any tongue twisters, so I won't even TRY that one!

    Having a lovely time on the boat, I hope?! Big hugs xoxo

  4. "Women BLINK nearly twice as much as men!!"

    So they aren't all flirting with me?

  5. The name of all the continents end with the same letter that they start with Asia, America, Australia, Europe.

    Um, that's false. The correct continent names are South America and North America. Not just America.

  6. I am not into headphones really but my husband is..I can't imagine how many bacterias in a day..yuck..

    Have a nice weekend Sandee!

  7. i tried to do what Lois did.. *LOL*

  8. and here i was thinking the GUYS would be trying the elbow thing! ha ha ha

    smiles, bee

  9. Wonder how many people tried that tongue twister. I did. Won't tell how it came out. Good ones Sandee. Good sailing to ya.
    Take care.

  10. Sandee, you left off one continent Antarctica.Big Time Hug.

  11. I just have to try several interesting ones. You are right. :)

  12. I can lick the inside of my elbow, which is technically "the elbow". I can't imagine anyone would try to lick the hub of the elbow, which is the outside of the joint. Do I win a prize or something.

  13. Vel-ly inter-es-ting! I can also tie a knot in a cherry stem in my mouth, Lois. We learned something new about each other.

    Happy boating and floating. And eating. Big hugs, honey...

  14. I tried the elbow lick & failed. The green coke reminds me of when I was a kid & the local milkbar sold Lime & Coke. A glass of Coke with a scoop of lime milkshake flavouring. They were very nice. Is Africa a continent??? It fits the 1st/last letter rule

  15. Maybe that's where the saying "Pigs might fly" saying comes from? They just wanna see what's up there...

  16. Now there's some useful tidbits! Thanks for enlightening me.


  17. Green Coke would be popular on St. Paddy's day.

  18. Trying out the tounge twister gave me headache.

    There seems to be a lot of Mohammad's in London, they are everywhere!

  19. LOL - I couldn't even read that tongue twister out loud slowly. I love this sort of trivia. :)
    Sorry I am so far behind in reading your posts :)

  20. Great tidbits! Will share them with my friends. I know one who could lick her elbow while reciting the tongue twister :)


Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥