Thursday, September 29, 2011

Words - Part I

Many words and phrases we use do have an interesting background. Here are some of the wonderful words and the spicy details about them.

FORTNIGHT comes from 'Fourteen Nights' (Two Weeks).

POP MUSIC is 'Popular Music' shortened.

MOPED is the short term for 'Motorized Pedaling'.

BUS is the short term for 'Omnibus' that means everybody.

DRAWING ROOM was actually a 'withdrawing room' where people withdrew after Dinner. Later the prefix 'with' was dropped.

NEWS refers to information from Four directions N, E, W, and S.

AG-MARK, which some products bear, stems from 'Agricultural Marketing'.

QUEUE comes from 'Queen's Quest'. Long back a long row of people as waiting to see the Queen. Someone made the comment Queen's Quest..

JOURNAL is a diary that tells about 'Journey for a day' during each Day's business.

TIPS come from 'To Insure Prompt Service'. In olden days to get prompt service from servants in an inn, travelers used to drop coins in a box on which was written 'To Insure Prompt Service'. This gave rise to the custom of Tips.

JEEP is a vehicle with unique Gear system. It was invented during World War II (1939-1945). It was named 'General Purpose Vehicle (GP)'.GP was changed into JEEP later.

Hat tip: Rajagopalan of Just Out
Share This


  1. Very interesting, I've learned something there

    Have a brilliant day :-)

  2. Wow - I had no idea that's where NEWS came from.

  3. Those are some great ones. I love the FORTNIGHT one.

  4. I learned something today. Didn't know the origins of NEWS or QUEUE... how interesting!

    Thanks for the lesson!

  5. I too, did not know where news came from. I did learn a lot today. Thanks Sandee. Hope your trip is going well. Take care.

  6. The explanation for "tip" in incorrect.

  7. Ha ha! Kind of a random thought in my comment....but I love the moped one because my daughter calls it a "mopad" which makes me smile every time.

  8. I did not know the history of a lot of those words. That's neat. I'll be looking like M. Smartypants all day at work. :)

  9. I knew some of them, but the rest...they were fun to learn!

  10. Wow,I did not know where news came from. That's interesting. Hope you have a great cruise.

  11. You are funny AND educational! Thanks for letting me know where news came from, and the origin of queue. I knew it was British, but not the origin. Clever.

    Happy boating with good weather. Big hugs, honey...

  12. very interesting and i was happy that i knew three of them!!!

    hope you are having smooth seas on the boat honey!

    smiles, bee

  13. learn something new every day... thanks Sandee!

  14. Very interesting. I knew a few of those but not all and certainly not the one about news

  15. Very interesting. Always wondered about the drawing room (I thought it was for artists!).

  16. Some interesting word facts. The Fortnight is so obvious but I never considered that's what it means

  17. Very interesting facts. I love to learn new things every day. Thanks for sharing.

  18. This is really cool. I think News was my favorite.


Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥