Tuesday, September 27, 2011

To Excel

A German once visited a temple under construction where he saw a sculptor making an idol of God. Suddenly he noticed a similar idol lying nearby. Surprised, he asked the sculptor, "Do you need two statues of the same idol?"

"No," said the sculptor without looking up, "We need only one, but the first one got damaged at the final stage."

The gentleman examined the idol and found no apparent damage. "Where is the damage?" he asked. "There is a scratch on the nose of the idol." said the sculptor, still busy with his work. "Where are you going to install the idol?"

The sculptor replied that it would be installed on a pillar twenty feet high. "If the idol is that far, who is going to know that there is a scratch on the nose?" the gentleman asked. The sculptor stopped work, looked up at the gentleman, smiled and said, "I will know it."

The desire to excel is exclusive of the fact whether someone else appreciates it or not. True excellence is not for someone else to notice but for your own satisfaction!

Source: Just Out
Share This

22 comments:

  1. wonderful advise :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish i could find a painter & decorator like that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also a perfectionist. Only thing I go by it a different way. If it doesn't come out right I hang something over it.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice advice for us all!

    smiles, bee
    xxoxooxxoox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup... you got that right!

    Big hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Second what everyone else said. Great advice and Oh so hard to find someone like that. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. Must be the virgo in me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. great thought today. true excellence lies in the details, the things that people don't see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like this could be me... and housework? photogaphy? work?

    Feeling unappreciated is a sad feeling.


    This was a good post, sorry I haven't had much virtual time lately to say hello. No matter, you are always in my heart and on my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And our own is the opinion that counts the most.

    Big hugs from cool jawjah, honey...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pride in ones work is something lost in this modern world of mass production. Honestly most people will not pay for quality work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great advice! This is how I view my comic work. My wife may not notice an error and wonder why I'm making such a big deal about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with Ron. Good quality seems not to be wanted as much as a bargain price now days. Towards the end of my working life my work dwindled. Not because I was no good at it but because people wanted cheap, lower grade work doing. I couldn't do that.

    We should always strive for excellence.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! I've always thought that the test of true character is how you treat others when the only witnesses to your actions are God and yourself.

    This post reminds me of that thought, or seems close to the same thing...

    Are you leaving on your cruise tomorrow? If you are, have a super fantastic time!

    Love and hugs,

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish more people thought like this. Good post

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like this one.

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2011/09/wordless-wednesday-when-art-visits.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. the words of a wise man... or perfectionist! I thought he was worried that God would see (as he would be higher) the scratch & judge him poorly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very true! But sadly most people just don't about such things anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have to totally agree with those very wise words. Something which a lot of people can learn from!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How I wish I have that "character" :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥