Sunday, July 10, 2011

VJ Day - 1945

Great video of a Spontaneous Victory Parade in Honolulu in1945.

Take a look at this video-absolutely fabulous! Notice the cars and jeeps, youth. The guys in khaki or gray shirts and black ties are Navy officers or chiefs. The rest are Army or Marine. How young they all were to do what they did.

This guy really captured a moment in history!

(You can listen to Jimmy Durante singing "I'll be Seeing You" in the background, too).

This is a super video of a time past - we need to remember and be THANKFUL.

Check out the color fidelity. It's not bad for 1945.

Nothing will ever compare with Kodachrome film.

VJ Day, Honolulu Hawaii, August 14, 1945 from Richard Sullivan on Vimeo.
Share This


  1. Excellent! Most of our military are very young... many too young to even have a beer legally.

    I just adored Jimmy Durante! Now there was a singer. and quite a character, too!

    I watched another video after this one, too. Kodachrome was awesome, when it wasn't blurry!

    Have a lovely Sunday honey. Big hugs xoxo

  2. I love this video, since my father was in the pacific somewhere it reminds me of him, I wonder if he rode the finder of a car......

  3. Great Video Sandee. Love those old cars. Back then people appreciated our troops.

  4. Oooorahhhhhhhhhhh! Have a super Sunday~! hugsssssssss~!

  5. very nice video! loved it honey...

    hugs, bee

  6. Gotta love Kodachrome.

    The golden days. I didn't live through it, but there are times I wish I did.

  7. Wonderful videos kindling the nostalgic and patriotic feelings.

  8. Nice tribute. VJ day was something people then thought would never come. Especially after Pearl Harbor. A great tribute to the young American military. Bless them all!

    Have a great Sunday!

  9. War is such a terrible thing. I bet they were all so relieved when it was over. Mankind never learns from the past though & the wars continue. Such a tragic waste of human life...

  10. great video. I think it's sad that our troops today don't get that kind of reception when they return home

  11. that's is just fantastic.

  12. What a great video! We visited Honolulu and Pearl Harbor in 2009 and we are truly thankful to all of those that fought for us back then ... and today!

  13. Image quality is amazingly good. Better than half the stuff you see today. What a different world back then.

  14. Just great!!! :-)


Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥