Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Storm

Several years ago, I returned home from a trip just when a storm hit, with crashing thunder and severe lightning. As I came into my bedroom about 2 a.m., I found my two children in bed with my wife, Karey, apparently scared by the loud storm. I resigned myself to sleep in the guest bedroom that night.

The next day, I talked to the children and explained that it was O.K. to sleep with Mom when the storm was bad, but when I was expected home, please don’t sleep with Mom that night.

They said OK.

After my next trip several weeks later, Karey and the children picked me up in the terminal at the appointed time. Since the plane was late, everyone had come into the terminal to wait for my plane’s arrival, along with hundreds of other folks waiting for their arriving passengers.

As I entered the waiting area, my son saw me, and came running shouting, “Hi, Dad! I’ve got some good news!”

As I waved back, I said loudly, “What’s the good news?”

Alex shouted, “Nobody slept with Mommy while you were away this time!”

Hat tip: Phil of Phils Phun

23 comments:

  1. Brilliant. Thanks for a great laugh and congratulations on having a wife that slept alone while you were away :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very cute indeed. Always a good smile when I visit you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now THAT was a good one! Although I was slightly confused at the start...

    Have a nautical week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure dad feels much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh good one!

    smiles, bee
    xoxoxoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bwahahahaha... the gig is up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Almost makes me glad I don't have kids...LMAO.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that is cute. You just never know what is going to come out of kid's mouths. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I'll bet that was a relief! hahahaha!

    Big hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha! I bet there were a few giggles at that bit of news.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved it! Sorry I've been MIA lately. Been stuck inside my head contemplating life. A bit of an oxymoron. I can be sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oops. When will dad learn?!

    Big hugs honey...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Speaking of "Mouths of Babes," this one is the best!

    I liked your Jiffy Pop fire alarm. Get it down and have pop corn while watching your house burn! Sounds like redneck fun for sure.
    ..
    BTW, I've been even scarcer the last couple of weeks as we went to my high school class reunion in Nebraska and visited most of the cousins.
    So my bloggin was mostly posting if anything.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  14. hearing something like that in a crowded airport terminal could certainly make it worth the trip and the wait

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, that is good news!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha! i can imagine that went down very well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, that's a hoot :). Trust kids to speak the truth with neither embellishment nor political correctness :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I bet that would have had the tongues wagging like crazy as well a few funny looks. You would either have to laugh or make a sharp exit...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhh! My! That was cute and funny! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Perfectly innocent. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This brought a grin to my face. For the past two months, my husband has been working in the Bay Area during the week, and our 12yo son still likes to sleep with me when his dad is gone. I have to remind him that come Friday morning, he needs to move his things from his dad's side of the bed since dad comes home Friday nights. The boy still needs his momma. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ha Ha Ha You can always rely on kids to embarrass you in public

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hahaha Anyway,that was a good news for dad.

    Have a great day Sandee.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥