Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Funeral

As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery in the Kentucky back country.

As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost and, being a typical man, I didn't stop for directions.

I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guys had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch.

I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play.

The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends.

I played like I've never played before for this homeless man.

And as I played 'Amazing Grace,' the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full.

As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, "I never seen nothin' like that before and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."

Hat tip: Babs of Beetle's Memories 'n' Ramblings
Share This

26 comments:

  1. Maybe a GPS is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, crap to ????

    Sorry, couldn't resist.

    That's twice I heard/read about septic this morning. A coworker just called off because his is backed up and he has to dig out the lead in pipe. Haha, guess he's having a sh*tty day!

    Sorry, just couldn't resist that one either!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazin' grace how sweet the sound of poop gurgling from the tank...

    Happy Trails...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that was really funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't remember the last time I had a picnic by a septic tank! hahahaha!

    Big hugs :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't septic tank an amazing grace in human civilization? How if it's never invented...I wouldn't even think about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! I'll have to remember this for our annual septic tank cleaning. Since I don't have bagpipes, I'll take out the guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness, there are a lot of people on here with great senses of humor. The comments are as funny as the joke. That was pretty funny serenading the septic tank. Bet he never lived that down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ya know... that would be my luck.. Hahahahahahahah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant:)

    Stay warm. It sure is cold here again in nawth GA. Big hugs, honey...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy shit! I guess it's the thought that counts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL I'm sure that the septic tank will rest in peace

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh you have no idea how much I needed a good laugh, and I always know where I can get it and some nice warm feelings stopping at my best blogger buddy, thank you :-)

    Big Smiling Hug

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's great to have a great laugh after work. You always surprise me with something new.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All because he didn't want to ask for directions!
    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's one way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oops! well that septic should never over flow with a christening like that, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've heard this one before, except it was a priest giving a graveside sermon to a septic tank!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i'll bet it sounded crap-tastic too!

    smiles, bee
    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am laughing at Bee - I don't think she likes the pipes. I've never heard this one before and it made me giggle. Love it!
    ~~~Blessings~~~

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ha Ha Ha Ha I laughed so much at that one I went into a coughing fit. Excellent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh I remember the same incident :) one of our Pastor was also late and went into the wrong funeral :) That was funny!

    ReplyDelete
  23. nyahahahahaha...we had a movie like that here, but you made me laugh so hard again Sandee...hahaha

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥