Monday, January 24, 2011

The Speakeasy

I've been so busy with a million things that I neglected to tell you about my first yacht club function as the commodore. Our rear commodore is responsible for executing all the drive-in functions that he scheduled last year. The first on the docket was The Ryde Hotel. If you missed the post about this event you can read that post HERE.

It has been a very long time since hubby and I went to The Ryde. As I recall it was a boat ride with about 10 people for brunch. We all had our favorite Sunday morning cocktails (except for the operator of the boat) and just enjoyed the view on they way. It's about an hour plus ride up the river and there's nothing like going to brunch on a boat.

Our first yacht club event was very little work for me. Those of you who know me and have watched me go through the chairs have listened to me talk about all the preparation that goes into each event. Well, a commodore gets all the work handed to him/her and then does the introductions. That's it. There just isn't much to do. I kind of like it. The event was tons of fun and our rear commodore has a lot of great ideas on how to spice up our monthly meetings. He did a fantastic job.

The theme was the roaring 20s and since The Ryde was built in 1920 it just fit the evening wonderfully. Most haven't dressed up for these theme parties, but this time they did. Many of the couples came dressed to the nines in roaring 20s attire. I give you the flappers of our group. Hubby couldn't seem to get the guys to pose for a picture.

We are a very noisy group and everyone is having their conversations at different tables or different clusters of people here and there throughout the dining room. When it's time to make announcements it's like herding cats to get their attention. Herding cats is a tough job and anyone that has cats will agree.

The photograph at the very top is where many banquets and weddings take place at The Ryde. It's also where the speakeasy used to be. Hubby just had to get a shot of this. Also he found the poster below and thought of Linda of Are We There Yet??, and just had to get a shot. This is right down her ghost chasing alley.

We had a fabulous meal and a lot of fun. I'm going to like being the commodore of our yacht club.
Share This


  1. Speaking as a crazy cat lady, I can tell you with some authority that in fact it is quite easy to herd cats, given the right circumstances... dinner time and and open can, for instance.

    Yay for making the introductions, Commodore! The flappers look fabulous! What a fun event! I have never done a themed/costume party, except for that one time at my parent's house many years ago. My husband's big pink paper mache pig head (yes, he was dressed as a cop) was so funny that I don't remember how I was dressed.

    Big hugs :]

  2. A 20's-themed party? Sounds interesting. They do look 20's in those dress and hats.

  3. Looks like fun! We had a flapping good time at one of our work parties when I worked at the insurance company. Glad you like your new position! Happy Sailing!

  4. Oh what fun. That looks like a great group of ladies. But where the pictures of you and Z?! :)

  5. From the photos it looks like you's had a wow of a time.
    Being ex-Navy do I have to call you Ma'am now Commodore???

  6. I loved the ladies' costumes!!! How fun! Oh I bet this was a roaring good party. I'm so glad you're enjoying your new position with the club. Bravo!

  7. It good to be the commodore.

  8. Sandee, it looks like your group had a wonderful time. I can imagine going to an event and not doing the planning.

    The title fits you well.
    Great pictures of you ladies.

  9. I have to agree with Barb, just open a can of food and all cats come to attention immediately.
    All of you look like you had such a good time. What fun to get all dressed up. Glad you are enjoying your new honorable position. Take care.

  10. The 20's themed party looks like so much fun!
    Have a great day Sandee :)

  11. Sandee that was great. I would have loved to be there. You can see how much fun your have. Happy Yachting.

  12. Congrats Commodore Sandee!
    Have a great day!

  13. Oh what FUN! It's about time that you got to have a whole bunch of that, w/o all the WORK involved getting it done:)

    Have a super day. Big hugs, honey...

  14. Soounds like a great time! I love the flapper outfits. I've always been intrigued by that era. Glad you were able to relax and enjoy!

  15. oh that looks like such fun! and the dressed up gals look wonderful!

    i know you'll do a bang up job of being commodore!

    smiles, bee

  16. Sounds like a ton of fun. Do I have to bow to a commodore?

  17. That looks like a ton of fun. Darn those guys for not posing for a picture :)

  18. As commodore can't you delegate all the work to your underlings?

    The roaring twenties theme sounds like a lot of fun.

  19. Now that looked like fun.

  20. Tony may NOT refer to you as "Ma'am." You've worked far too hard for the position and he must address you as "Commodore."
    ~~~I bet Linda wishes she could hop a jet and go on that speakeasy junket! Sounds like fun, for sure!
    ~~~I'm so glad you guys are having so much fun - the photos are terrific. The dining room looks beautiful!

  21. Being Commodore looks like it has a its perks and a Roaring 20's themed party in a hotel with so much history behing it sure sounds like hell of lot of fun.

  22. After all those years of working hard to plan events, it's good that you get to enjoy them now. :)

  23. and the yacht club is going to have a lot of fun with YOU as the commodore.

    Just sayin'.

    :) xoxoxox


Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥