Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Officer Down

Taps! I've heard them way too many times in my career in law enforcement. I've stood at attention at too many funerals. Lately I've been hearing about too many officers killed in the line of duty. It's still January and look at the list of officers that are never going to go home again. Eleven cops have been shot in just the last 24 hours. As most agencies are laying off law enforcement personnel the criminals are getting bolder and bolder.

According to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund's preliminary "2010 End of Year Officer Fatality Report," officer fatalities reached 162, a nearly 40 percent increase from the 117 in 2009. Of the 162 officers killed in the line of duty, 61 were shot — a 24 percent increase from 2009. Tragically, the trend continued with 14 officer deaths in January, 10 of which resulted from shootings accounting for a 40 percent increase compared to the same period in 2010.
Patch image: Clark County Sheriff's Office, OH Deputy Sheriff Suzanne Hopper
Clark County Sheriff's Office, OH
EOW: Saturday, January 1, 2011
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Patch image: Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office, TX Deputy Sheriff John Norsworthy
Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office, TX
EOW: Tuesday, January 4, 2011
Cause of Death: Automobile accident
Patch image: Rainier Police Department, OR Chief of Police Ralph Painter
Rainier Police Department, OR
EOW: Wednesday, January 5, 2011
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Patch image: Baltimore City Police Department, MD Police Officer William H. Torbit Jr.
Baltimore City Police Department, MD
EOW: Sunday, January 9, 2011
Cause of Death: Gunfire (Accidental)
Patch image: Davie Police Department, FL Police Officer Rogerio Morales
Davie Police Department, FL
EOW: Thursday, January 13, 2011
Cause of Death: Heart attack
Patch image: Dallas Police Department, TX Police Officer Kevin P. Marceau
Dallas Police Department, TX
EOW: Friday, January 14, 2011
Cause of Death: Struck by vehicle
Patch image: Lakewood Police Department, NJ Police Officer Christopher Matlosz
Lakewood Police Department, NJ
EOW: Friday, January 14, 2011
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Patch image: Livonia Police Department, MI Police Officer Larry Nehasil
Livonia Police Department, MI
EOW: Monday, January 17, 2011
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Patch image: Columbus Division of Police, OH Police Officer Tom Hayes
Columbus Division of Police, OH
EOW: Thursday, January 20, 2011
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Patch image: Miami-Dade Police Department, FL Detective Roger Castillo
Miami-Dade Police Department, FL
EOW: Thursday, January 20, 2011
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Patch image: Miami-Dade Police Department, FL Detective Amanda Haworth
Miami-Dade Police Department, FL
EOW: Thursday, January 20, 2011
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Patch image: Sumter Police Department, SC Corporal Charles Richard (Chuck) Nesbitt Jr.
Sumter Police Department, SC
EOW: Friday, January 21, 2011
Cause of Death: Automobile accident
Patch image: St. Petersburg Police Department, FL Sergeant Tom Baitinger
St. Petersburg Police Department, FL
EOW: Monday, January 24, 2011
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Patch image: St. Petersburg Police Department, FL Police Officer Jeffrey Yaslowitz
St. Petersburg Police Department, FL
EOW: Monday, January 24, 2011
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Source: The Officer Down Memorial Page, Inc.

On average, one law enforcement officer is killed in the line of duty somewhere in the United States every 53 hours. Since the first known line-of-duty death in 1792, nearly 19,000 U.S. law enforcement officers have made the ultimate sacrifice. Source: National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund

My fear? It's a war on cops.
Share This

21 comments:

  1. There is rarely a week that passes when my sister Janice does not mention at least once or twice how worried she is about her husband. He works 16 hour shifts on his regular days, plus extra duties on his days off just to make ends meet. Even if he's lucky, he is always working exhausted. It's so wrong.

    Big hugs :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right - let's fire more police officers. Keep the perks for the pols, though. Makes my gorge reflex go into overtime.
    I worry about my kids working in the federal prison system, too.
    Everyone in law enforcement has their hands tied - enough ACLU crap!!!
    ~~~Blessings~~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can expect little else when, as a country, we have lost our moral compass and devalued human life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So scary. And sad.

    This week they arrested a man from our area because he made threats against the local police chief on facebook. Reason, unknown, but they took no chances and arrested him the very next morning. But those people are out there.

    I am grateful for their sacrafices, much like I am for our troops as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hear about these all the time. so sad.

    hugs, bee
    xxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart and prayers go out to the families of the fallen.

    I have been in security and law enforcement for about 25 yrs. I am am glad got out of it to serve a higher purpose, and that is to serve my God Jehovah.

    Aloha ke akua! (God is love!)

    Agape! Antone

    ReplyDelete
  7. May they all rest in peace and let's thank them for doing their jobs! It's not an easy one.....
    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really sad list to read. Those who serve are overworked and underpaid. I thank them for their dedication.

    Big hugs, honey...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unbelievable! I salute all police officers and their families. That is a dangerous field to be in.

    May God protect and bless them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep standing at attentions in a line of blue is no fun.God Bless and Keep our safety forces safe from insame fools.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is just horrible. I did not realize so many were killed. That is really scary. Wish there was something that could be done to protect our protectors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think Driller nailed it. It saddens me. Bless our law enforcement people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Somethng is far wrong when so many who are protecting the public from the crooks and thugs are getting killed. It looks like you guys need more cops, not less.

    We very rarely have cops being killed in the UK, not yet. But it is the same story here, due to cut backs they want to employ less, when they in fact should be hiring more to protect the public!

    ReplyDelete
  14. sigh..I hear ya..keep the faith my friend~! God bless~! (hugsss)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard the stories on the news but never realized the numbers were so high. That's alarming.
    God bless them all

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is absolutely awful! We've had a few policemen and women killed or badly injured in recent years, but so many in such a short time is very scary.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I start my tour of duty God,
    Wherever crime may be,
    as I walk the darkened streets alone,
    Let me be close to thee.

    Please give me understanding with both the young and old.
    Let me listen with attention until their story's told.
    Let me never make a judgment in a rash or callous way,
    but let me hold my patience let each man have his say.

    Lord if some dark and dreary night,
    I must give my life,
    Lord, with your everlasting love
    protect my children and my wife.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sandee, I have an Award for you at my blog, congrats and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It really sinks in when you see these statistics. I get an email at least every other week from my Home office saying to lower our flag to half mast for a day because an Arkansas soldier has died in the line of duty. These things really touch Willy's heart.

    10-4 Willy

    ReplyDelete
  20. My heart aches every time I hear of an officer-involved shooting. I am nearly numb from these numbers in such an incredibly short period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for honoring their sacrifices.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥