Saturday, December 4, 2010

Tropical Snowdrops

Steve over at Burnt Food Dude tells us that December 4th is Cookie Day. Well if that's the case then I'll play along. Here's Steve's instructions:

I have been informed by Mr Food that Saturday December 4th is cookie day! I’ve decided to have a cookie exchange day. All you need to do is either send me your favorite cookie recipe and I’ll post it here next Saturday with a link to your blog. Otherwise, promise to put a cookie recipe on your blog and send me a link to the page that it is on. I’ll post the link here for everyone to follow and get a good cookie recipe.

You don’t have a blog? Send me your recipe and I post it here for you.

Just use the “Contact the Dude” tab at the top.

Here's one of my favorite holiday cookie recipes. I also love Ranger cookies and Oatmeal Raisin, but I wanted to do something for the holidays. Believe me these are very, very good.

Prep: 40 minutes
Oven: 375 degrees F
Bake: 9 - 11 minutes per batch
Makes: about 60 cookies

  • 1/2 cup butter softened
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
  • 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup tropical-blend dried fruit bits
  • 1 cup flaked coconut
  • 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts or pecans coconut, whole macadamia nuts, or pecan halves (optional)
  • In a large mixing bowl beat butter and shortening with electric mixer on medium high speed for 30 seconds.
  • Add sugar, baking soda, and salt
  • Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
  • Beat in eggs, vanilla and run extract until combined
  • Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer.
  • Stir in any remaining flour, the fruit bits, the 1 cup coconut and the 1/2 cup nuts
  • Drop by teaspoons 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
  • If desired, lightly press additional coconut onto tops of cookies or top each with a macadamia nut or pecan half
  • Bake for 9 - 11 minutes or until edges are light brown
  • Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
  • Store at room temperature for up to 2 days.
I got this recipe out of Better Homes and Gardens Ultimate Cookies and Bars (2010). They have lots of great holiday recipes along with cookies for anytime of the year.
Share This


  1. Lovely. would try this after my dieting program.

  2. wow, a whole day just for cookies. Love it. I've already seen several great cookie recipes this morning. yours look awful good too. I'm really craving cookies. I just may have some for breakfast today.

  3. oh my gravy... those look absofreakinglutely divine! You had me at dried fruit....

  4. It's Cookie Day? Why did I not know this ahead of time?!? I'm all for Cookie Day!

    Those look delicious and very festive, too!

    Have a lovely Saturday, Commodore Sandee!

  5. Wow! Cookie Day! How marvelous! I love cookies.

    I have a new email and a new blog. I've explained on the blog. Stick a fork in the old one. It is officially DONE. Click on my name to find the new blog!

    Have a lovely day! Big hugs :]

  6. sarge makes snickerdoodles!

    smiles, bee

  7. Ciao Sandee!!

    A great idea...I'll take next Monday as Cookies Day for me...and I'll do some cookies...
    Have a lovely Saturday!!

  8. Those look and sound very yummy. I played too today but didn't have time to actually back any to get a picture.

    Oh my Sarge does Snickerdoodles...I love those too!

    Hope you have a great day!

  9. Well if it's cookie day, I'm in too. have a great weekend

  10. Cookies are my downfall. Your receipe sounds delicious. I love anything with dried fruit and nuts, but my favorite is Teacakes. I will try to come back and post the receipe.

  11. Oh, this is perfect. I have been looking for recipes for cookies so I can give some away for the holidays. Great sounding recipe. Can't wait to try it.
    Take care

    Yield: 54 cookies

    2 c All-purpose flour
    2/3 c HERSHEY'S Cocoa
    3/4 ts Baking soda
    1/4 ts Salt
    1 c Butter or margarine
    -- softened
    1 1/2 c Sugar
    2 Eggs
    2 ts Vanilla extract
    12 oz HERSHEY'S Chocolate Chips-(Semi-Sweet)
    11 1/2 oz -Milk Chocolate Chips
    1/2 c Coarsely chopped nuts
    -- (optional)

    Heat oven to 350F. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.

    In large mixer bowl, beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour mixture, beating well. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts, if desired. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or just until set.
    Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool
    completely. About 4-1/2 dozen cookies.

  13. this is so tempting, Sandee!! But I'm on a diet! WAA

  14. Whatever recipe David's cookies uses. I don't bake, but I buy baked goods. Gotta love doubly chocolate cookies. I can almost taste the chocolate melting in my mouth.

  15. mmmmmmmmm gainin weight just listening!

  16. Mrs. Jim and I shared a cookie today at noon. Does that count?


Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥