Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Superyacht Octopus

For the next few days I'll be posting about our annual bay cruise. They are not in order, so don't expect that. We have hundreds of pictures and the one below really stuck out.

We were heading under the San Francisco - Oakland Bay Bridge and docked at Treasure Island was this superyacht. Thanks to Duffy who knew the history of this superyacht, I give you Octopus.



Octopus is currently the world's 11th largest superyacht, owned by Paul Allen, the co-founder of Microsoft, to whom she was delivered in 2003. Octopus is the third largest superyacht that is not owned by a head of state, measuring 414 feet (126 m), and at the time it was built, was believed to be the biggest such yacht.

Octopus sports two helicopters on the top deck (one in front and one on the back), and a 63-foot (19 m) tender docked in the transom (one of seven aboard). The yacht also has a pool on board, located aft on one of her upper decks, and two submarines (one of them operated by remote control for studying the bottom of the ocean). Side hatches at the water line form a dock for jet skis.

The exterior was designed by Espen Øino Naval Architects and built by the German shipbuilders Lürssen in Bremen and HDW in Kiel. Her hull is made of steel. The interior was designed by American designer Jonathan Quinn Barnett of Seattle.

Allen also owns Tatoosh, another of the world's 100 largest yachts. Source: Wikipedia
Share This

18 comments:

  1. Dang. I don't even have one helicopter on my Superyacht. Oh wait. Never mind.

    Big hugs :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty impressive. Would love to see the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, I've never been on a big yacht, nor a big boat :( Take me with you next time, please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is gonna make me double PO'd next time I have to PAY for customer support!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So this is what he did with his billions! Not one but two superyachts. With not one but 7 tender crafts. With not one but two helicopters. With not one but two submarines.
    Instead, he could have built a university, or two.
    I'm guessing he has a small penis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gee, that is huge! I can't fit a helipad on my 17.5 foot fishing boat. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. This should be renamed "Conspicuous Consumption." Sheesh.

    Looking forward to seeing all your photos. Have a super day. Big hugs, honey...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome...! I get to know more about superyachts thanks to you Sandee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! So that's what Microsoft does with (some) of their money! Would love to take a tour!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is that really necessary?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This screams of"Look at me I'm filthy rich and your not!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was an impressive sight.
    zily

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Ferd,I believe that you may have something there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm impressed with Paul Allen and he's earned what he has. Good for him. I'll be glad when it's not a horrible thing to work hard a succeed. Really glad.

    He's also given away millions upon millions of dollars. Read about him HERE.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sandee, you just took the words right out of my mouth!!! All of a sudden it's wrong to have money. I wonder who people think are capable of actually hiring folks to work for them? Me? I certainly can't!
    A lot of this stinks to me of pure jealousy........
    (If I had beaucoup bucks, I wouldn't spend it this way - but that's a personal decision!)
    Oh, and Obama is expecting folks who have wealth to spread it around. Darn, I forgot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. so how do i meet the owner of Octopus? :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I'd still rather have a bigger bass boat. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now some people sure know how to live! Wouldn't it be nice to just spend a single weekend on this beautiful yacht? Just one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥