Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Commodore's Picnic

On September 11, 2010 I throw the last party of my Vice Commodore year. The Commodore's Picnic, that honors all the past commodore's and of course the current commodore. Hubby and I spent yesterday afternoon getting tons of supplies. Everything from BBQ briquettes and lighter fluid to beer, soda, water and a very large cart full of other items that are needed. Everything that is needed for this picnic we are responsible for having on hand. We have three really good BBQ'ers that will be doing Tri-Tip and Chicken. All the trimmings of course.

On the upcoming three day weekend we'll take all the non-perishables over and load them on the boat. Then the following Thursday we'll take all the meat and other perishable items and head over to Delta Marina Yacht Harbor for the weekend. On Saturday 9/11 at 11:00 the party starts and lasts until everyone leaves.

After a great meal we have a White Elephant Auction that is tons of fun. Everyone brings anything imaginable to auction off. All the proceeds go into the general fund and during the holidays that money is used to lessen the cost of our holiday meal and the Change of Watch parties. People pay ridiculous amounts for silly stuff and that's what makes it fun.

When the function is over and I'm back on my boat after all the cleanup is done I'm going to do a big sigh of relief. I'll then hand over the reins for the next few functions to the rear commodore. I did five functions last year and six this year. No more Parties R Us. I'm very happy about that and I know hubby is too. He's always right there helping me every step of the way. I'm a very lucky gal.

22 comments:

  1. Sandee-- Sounds like funfunfun!

    I hope all turns out swimmingly (Hehe).

    Prayers that ya' all have a veryvery safe and wonderful time:>)

    PLU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it will be fun for all. However, good times do require a lot of thoughtful planning and preparation. I'm sure your replacement has been well-trained.

    Have a ball and drink a drink for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BBQ! When do we eat? Can a bass boat join?
    Are there one or two items in the auction that seem to make return appearances, and become kind of a running joke? Have a wonderful time. Sounds like it is well planned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The barbecue I'm familiar with, but what the hell is a white elephant auction? Something to do with used lingerie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. party, food and fun...
    have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tri-tip? I love tri-tip. If I bring my little boat I keep in the tub may I come as well?

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like so much fun--I'll take some chicken :) Love white elephant auctions. Have a great Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like it will be fun.Interesting date though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does sound like fun but it also sounds like an awful lot of work for you. No doubt you'll enjoy these functions more when you can sit back, relax, and let someone else do all the planning and organizing. You've sure earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, it is all fun...but there is always a GREAT sigh of relief when it is ovah! Well done for the year, my dear. Time to pass the baton.

    Big hugs, honey...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on a successful year. Sounds like you handled the responsibilities of the position quite well. Here's to a grand finale for you and everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aren't you commodore this coming year? I think that is like so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like you are really well organized for you last big party. And it can't be anything but a success with all that good food etc. It should be a lot of fun and we will keep our fingers crossed for the weather. Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you'll have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you've got lots of work to do but a fun event to end it with.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you have done a great job. Willy is interested in the tri tips. Just became familiar with them recently but have not found them in the markets in Arkansas.

    Good cooking and good eating

    10-4 Willy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a lot of fun and you put a lot of hard work into it. I bet you did an awesome job!

    Big hugs,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  18. It'll be fun to be done with this one Darlin
    zily

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have no idea what tri-tip is, but I think Zane nailed it in his comment. Pass the baton, Darlin! Then rest, confident that you've done an awesome job!

    185 day 'til the cruise! Remember when it was 240? Big hugs, Sandee :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. We know you'll be glad to take a break from the party planning. Sounds like a lot of work, but also sounds like great parties. Wish we were there, and look forward to hearing about the 9/11 weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What great fun! The auction sounds like a blast. I'll bet you throw the best parties!! :) Hope you have loads of fun and there's plenty of time for rest afterward!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We used to have white elephant dirty bingo at work every Christmas. It had to stop after the year someone wrapped a can of cream corn!

    I know first hand how hard it is to put together a party! Hope you can enjoy a well deserved break from the partying, well at least the party planning. No reason to stop partying! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥