Friday, June 18, 2010

Pittsburg Cruise-Out

We left for the boat on Thursday afternoon to pack everything on board and clean up the boat both inside and out. It was between regular washes so the boat was pretty dirty. Can't have that on a cruise. The weather was very nice with a slight breeze. We enjoyed getting the boat ready for her trip to Pittsburg Yacht Club the following morning.

In the middle of the night I could tell the wind had come up because you could feel the boat rocking back and forth on the lines. It's a great way to sleep, but I remember thinking that I hope the wind goes away before it's time to leave.

We get up the next morning and have our coffee and the wind is howling. We listen to the marine radio weather channel and it's going to be windy well into Saturday afternoon. I set this event up and have 13 boats due to arrive on Friday with a total of 36 folks for Friday nights dinner. At around 11 a.m. we back the boat out of the slip and head out of the harbor. As soon as we get to the San Joaquin river we knew we were in for a ride. The wind is really blowing and the water is coming over the top of the boat fairly regularly. It takes about 3 hours to boat to Pittsburg Yacht Club, so it's going to be a rough ride. I kept thinking I could have saved myself a ton of work cleaning the outside of the boat. With all the water coming over the top of the boat it was getting a really great river wash.

Being in the big water on the river wasn't our biggest concern. The biggest concern is sterning in at Pittsburg Yacht Club. You have very little room and there are two boats to each slip. I decide at that point to drive the boat to Pittsburg and hubby can dock the boat when we get there. At least he's not spending three hours keeping the boat on course with the high winds.

We get to Pittsburg and indeed our weather report from our commodore who was helping get the boats in was that the wind was FIERCE. I didn't much like that word as sterning in is tough enough at times, but when the wind is fierce it's even more dicey.

Hubby sterns in without incident and we both breathe a sigh of relief. Of the 13 boats that signed up for this cruise out all 13 showed up on Friday. I was so very proud of everyone. All of us had one issue or another getting tied up that day, but we all showed up.

The party began after all the boats were in and we had a great weekend of fun, great food and some cold adult beverages. Everything went very well.

Sunday morning after a wonderful breakfast hubby and I decided to head out. We wanted to fuel up at Pittsburg Municipal (best price on fuel) and pump out again. The difference between Friday and Sunday was amazing. Hubby just put the vessel in forward and we floated away from the dock and the boat we were next to. Mother nature can really get angry now and then and just as quickly she can be kind again.

Now I'm working on our next cruise-out to Ebony Boat Club for next month. We are going to drown in southern hospitality there. These folks know how to cook. The same food I was raised on and I can hardly wait.
Share This


  1. So glad you made the trip and had a great time :) Rather you than me though ;)

  2. Mother Nature is very unforgiving to airplanes as well as boats, so I recognize the anxiety you had with the winds. Glad it turned out to be a great w/e. I look forward to hearing about the next one. Always.

    Have a great day. Big hugs, honey.

  3. Ugh, wind is every boater's enemy! Hope you have a great weekend. It's going to be a busy one.

  4. That is so great to know you had a fantastic weekend and you enjoyed it a lot! Glad everyone showed up despite the fierce wind blows. I am looking forward to your next wonderful cruise trips!

    -Fledgling Blogger_

  5. Yay for hubby sterning the boat without incident! the rocking is good for sleep, but not travel... I would have been white knuckled all the way. (or as my mom used to say, white knuckles and Jack Daniel's) LOL!

  6. Sterning in...reminds me of a girl that gave me a, uh, lapdance. She was sterning in all over me. Nothing but stern!
    Ebony Boat Club?! Really?! Send me some greens and corn bread will ya?

  7. wow that was exciting to read, i can only imagine how it was to experience it! i'm not sure i'd have gone!

    glad it all worked out for you honey...

    smiles, bee

  8. I am happy that all turned out well for your trip. It must be a lot of fun to plan all the outings.

    Have a great weekend. Hugs back to you.

  9. When I read "Fierce" my heart quickened! Good for you facing into it and "just doing it"! I'm not sure I'd have the chutzpah!

    Love your boating stories! Big hugs xo

  10. Thank you Sandee, this is a very nice report. I am glad no one got hurt out there! You didn't mention anyone getting sick?
    My son's co-workers weren't that lucky last night. He is a boatman, meaning that he ties up the ships docking in the Houston Ship Channel. Some of those have to be done using boats to handle the ropes.
    Last night the other boat was over turned by the tug's prop wash. The fellows were sucked under but both were able to hold their breath and swim under water. So they came out the other side of the barge. Both were hospitalized, one was hurt around his shoulders, back, and neck pretty badly.
    In other words, be careful when you come alongside the larger craft. ( Tim's picture # 1 ) ( Tim's picture # 2 )

  11. I love reading your boat stories. I hope you have a great weekend.

    Big Hugs!

  12. That sounded petty scary Sandee but I am not a yaughts woman. I like my land, thank you very much. We will leave all that boating to you. I get scart when the wind blows on land.
    You are two brave souls.
    Have a great week end.

  13. I enjoyed your trip! Tho the wind had me a little anxious! Have a great weekend.

  14. I hope thay you have a geat cruise.Big time hug. As soon as entre card approves me I'll be dropping on you again.

  15. nice account of your cruise... I enjoyed it sitting in Chennai...
    Have a great day!

  16. Sounds like a great time! Glad everybody showed up and things went well. We can't wait to spend a weekend in our boat. Hope yours is good again this weekend. It's already Friday?!

  17. Glad to hear you made it there without incident and had a good time.

  18. Glad to know things went so well. There is something about boaters that will have them on course come hell or high water. I think they prefer the latter.

    I can understand why there is only one photo with this posting. You can only do so much when the wind is up.

    Good job.

  19. Glad everything went can get scary sometimes!

  20. I am so with you there /sandee and family.

    Keep the keel even, and the beers cold. And if another libation enters the picture.... make sure the ice is cold. Unless your doing straight shots then, what the hell.

    Just be safe, and Happy Fathers Day! even if you don't have one, I am a Father, and I need a happy.


  21. I'm really enjoying these stories of your boating. I like the comedy too, but it's nice to get a glimpse into your daily world.

  22. What a wonderful story, what with the happy ending and all!!! I've never driven a boat but I came up the Grapevine once with my car blowing all over the road. That's about all the wind and motors to last me awhile.
    How I love the water! We used to take a small boat over to Catalina. I loved watching all the flying fish and dolphins. The only time I was in really rough water was with my in-laws at Salton Sea. The wind whipped up all of a sudden and that little fishing boat danced all over that lake!
    I'm so glad you made it in safely. What a fantastic "hobby!"

  23. Your site is very beautiful, I also expect my site ;
    facebook,fbml kodları,fbml codes

  24. I'll bet that wind felt like a baby does when you're rocking the cradle...soothing. Boating sounds like so much fun!

  25. I can not stop laughing, and we are pretty good jokes but this surpasses them all


Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥