Thursday, June 10, 2010

Boating - Part I

During my first year of retirement hubby and I thought we wanted to RV. We looked at every imaginable RV out there. We pretty much settled on a Titanium Fifth Wheel, but we never bought one. We finally figured out that we weren't committed to straying far from home and figured it wouldn't be a very wise investment. I boated in the 80s and talked hubby into just looking at a couple different kinds of boats. He was game and I suggested we check out Bayliner and Sea Ray.

We headed to Sacramento and after looking at both types of boats we both agreed that we wanted a Sea Ray. I already knew I wanted a Sea Ray I just needed to convince hubby.

Within two weeks of going on this trip we put a bid on a 32 foot Sea Ray Sundancer, which was accepted. The gal that owned this boat turned out to be horrible so we told her we didn't want her boat. I'm glad she was so difficult. We immediately made a bid on a 34 foot Sea Ray Sundancer and bought that boat. This turn-key boat has served us so very well the last 7 seasons. Had we bought the 32 footer I'm sure we would have sold it and went to a bigger boat. We've even thought about that already, but with this economy we aren't going to do something that foolish.


When we first started out hubby didn't know how to drive the boat. I did well out in the river, but not so great with the close up work. Docking and the like. So, we didn't go anyplace to speak of for the first couple of years. Pumping out the black water (waste) was a big event as we had to leave the slip and go to the gas dock. Looking back it's kind of humorous now, but then it was a really big deal.

All the pictures are similar to our vessel. We have a full galley, dining area, stateroom, guest stateroom and a head complete with a shower. The length overall is 37 feet so it's plenty big enough for us. Click on any of the photographs to biggify.

22 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing that glimpse into your passion. Its a beautiful and very big boat. Nothing like the little 16' fishing boats I grew up around, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sure beats our 17.5 foot aluminum fishing boat with a 50hp motor...LOL! It's beautiful Sandee. I can see why it's such a refuge for you and hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents owned a 32' Chris Craft in the sixties. Boy, did I ever have fun on that thing. Loved the fishing. We kept it in Biloxi at Broadwater Marina which is no longer there. Neither is the boat...
    They sure were a lot of fun and we got great use out of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I know we both would enjoy this boat, but we are still enjoying the moho too much, so we settle for the pontoon and jet ski while here in Mayberry and let the kids take over the ski boat. We do enjoy our toys!

    Big hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandee, this is a beautiful boat. I see why you like boating so much. I had to chuckle about the beginning of your boating trials.
    Just look how far you have come.

    Big Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your boat is nicer than my house! Lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second Grace, your boat is a whole lot better than my little house. But the animals would not fit on the boat. The donkeys would be a little cramped. Talk about waste, that would be a bit of a problem. Anyway, that is gorgeous. I want to go for a ride.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. your boat is spacious cute cozy and well maintained! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandee-- May all your days be terrific, and the laughter joyful!

    What a boat. I have hopes of returning back to California someday(hopefully sooner than later), for a bunch of visits, and to pick up a 24' little, motor home for the return trip back to Florida.

    I have friends in the Sacramento area(I attended CSUS). Since I consider you a friend now...

    Can I have a ride on your boat? :>)

    PLU!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don - Yes, you can have a ride in our boat. We'll even take you out to lunch somewhere on the river. It would be our pleasure. We aren't too far from Sacramento, but you already know that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful boat, Sandee! I hope you have a wonderful weekend on it!

    Big Hugs!

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't take boats. I get motion sickness. It does look like such fun though. It's a lovely boat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, my! Do want! If I ever find a man I can't live without maybe he'll be My Captain!

    Big hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous! I'm jealous! You must be making a killing with this web site. =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, no wonder you enjoy going out on the boat so much. That's really nice.
    My in laws have a 5th wheel. They use it to go to Florida in the winters. They really seem to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. just beautiful!!! i am SO happy for you both having fun and getting out and doing fun things. go girlfriend!

    smiles, bee
    oxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a beauty Sandee - thanks for showing! Would feet perfect in the Norwegian Fjords you know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never been around boats much, certainly none this nice! I've gone canoeing and on a couple boats on Lake Erie for lots of people--The Goodtime and some other one a couple times with Gerard. Neither were anything like your boat. Thanks for sharing the pictures so I could see it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wondrous craft. I could just imagine the first time hubby took it out on the Pacific and past the break waters. But after 7 years now, you both are old pros at it. I had no idea that 2 feet could make that much of a difference, but seeing how every inch is laid out, I am sure it does. Especially in the head.

    Now I know the Skipper and you will be having a grand old time all summer. Good for you....

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! Nice! Boating would be an awesome experience! ^_^

    Glad that you made a good investment.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved this post, Sandee!
    Thanks for sharing all of that!!!
    Cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥