Friday, May 14, 2010

The Funeral

As a bagpiper, I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man who had no family or friends. The funeral was to be held at a cemetery in the remote countryside and this man would be the first to be laid to rest there.

As I was not familiar with the backwoods area, I became lost and being a typical man, did not stop for directions. I finally arrived an hour late. I saw the backhoe and the crew who were eating lunch but the hearse was nowhere in sight.

I apologized to the workers for my tardiness and stepped to the side of the open grave where I saw the vault lid already in place.

I assured the workers I would not hold them up for long but this was the proper thing to do. The workers gathered around, still eating their lunch. I played out my heart and soul.

As I played the workers began to weep. I played and I played like I'd never played before, from Going Home and The Lord is My Shepherd to Flowers of the Forest . I closed the lengthy session with Amazing Grace and walked to my car.

As I was opening the door and taking off my coat, I overheard one of the workers saying to another, Sweet Jeezuz, Mary 'n Joseph, I have never seen nothin' like that before and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years.

Hat tip: Babs of Beetles Memories 'n' Ramblings

Current Whereabouts: En-route to Stockton Yacht Club
Share This

20 comments:

  1. RIP Septic Tank...

    LMAO :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for starting Friday with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted that one some time ago, but still chuckle over it. You always make me smile.

    Have a great w/e. I'll be kicking it up with the girls this w/e. Wish you were here. Big hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh that was a REALLY good one today honey! have a lovely boating weekend...

    smiles, bee
    xoxoxoxoxoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, decomposing IS decomposing, after all! hahahaha!

    Have a great weekend, Sandee! Big hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonder if the septic tank enjoyed the music. Too funny.
    Have a super week end Sandee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe, never realized septic tanks resembled coffins.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was funny!
    Have a great weekend Sandee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Septic tanks, coffins...is there a difference?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mighty good laugh from this one, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a super weekend!!

    Big Hugs!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh I did not see that coming....lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG I REALLY literally laughed outloud that time!! I was totally sucked in and even a bit moved by the story!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Sandee, I just have to tell you what happened this evening; I heard some "screaming" from the living room and run to the room as I thought Diane (the previous commenter!) had a heart attach.... it took her 5 minutes - as she had a very good laugh - to tell me what it was!

    Thanks for the double fun we had and I wish you a splendid weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A septic tank... bwhhahahahaahhaa I gotta read this one to Hank! Have fun on the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A septic tank... bwhhahahahaahhaa I gotta read this one to Hank! Have fun on the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A fine send off for a fine septic tank I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. as usual u made me laugh

    ReplyDelete
  19. O geez a septic tank!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥