Friday, April 30, 2010

Opening Day - IV

My lunch mates were very impressive. We were of course seated with David (current president of Recreational Boaters Of California (RBOC). and Vice Commodore Linda Breninger, along with Linda Bendsen. Linda Bendsen was our driver into the city that morning. She is also Vice President (North) of RBOC.  Dr. Bendsen has been a wonderful friend for a very long time and is also a great mentor to me in everything boating. She took me under her wing long ago and showed me how to be successful in the yachting world. So far she's been right on the money. Her husband Dr. Vern Bendsen is president elect of the International Order of the Blue Gavel (IOBG).

I was seated next to my husband of course, but on my left was Vice Admiral Jody Breckenridge of the United States Coast Guard. She was the grand marshal of Opening Day on the Bay. Here is just a tidbit of what she is responsible for: She is the Commander, Coast Guard Pacific Area which encompasses over 73 million square miles throughout the Pacific Basin to the Far East. What a delightful woman that I had the privilege getting to know. Her and her husband were down-to-earth nice folks.

Another table mate was Ray Tsuneyoshi who just resigned as director of California Department of Boating and Waterways. Ray is an extremely respected man in the boating world. He will be missed and I wish him all the best in the future.

Jerry Desmond Jr. of Desmond & Desmond, attorney and adviser for Recreational Boaters of California rounded out the table. We really appreciate all the hard work Jerry does for the recreational boaters of California.

All of these individuals are heavy hitters in the boating world.

After lunch it was time for the presentations and to announce the boat parade winners. We got a plaque for our donation. It was a very nice surprise. I'm sure at some point I'll be able to get a shot of that presentation once PICYA puts up all their pictures. Let's just say that PICYA knows how to show their appreciation.

It was a terrific day on the water and we are looking forward to Opening Day on the Bay on May 1, 2011. I wonder what the theme will be next year. We just can't figure out why we never went before. We certainly are going to keep this event in our planner for as long as we are able. If there is an Opening Day on the Bay in your area you might want to consider participating. You don't have to be a boater to ride on the committee boat. There are also many places on the shore that you can participate for free.

Another thing we know is next year we will be sponsors again. This is such a worthwhile event. It has and deserves the support of the boating community. Thank you Vice Commodore Linda Breninger and PICYA.
Share This


  1. It sounds like you all had a most wonderful time, Sandee!

    Now you have to decide where you're going to hand your plaque!

    Big hugs xo

  2. Wow, that Coast Guard lady sounds like quite a gal. Such responsibility, such dedicated service to her country. Very commendable. I never would have guessed that the boating community had so many women involved. Very, very cool!

  3. This is some good stuff Sandee, I know you had a wonderful time, looking forward to next year...

  4. wow! and i can say i knew you "when"! ha ha, seriously, what a delightful honor! i am so happy for you and z...

    hugs, bee

  5. It sure sounds very dreamy. Glad you had such a wonderful time and something to look forward to next year. This has been so great getting all the chapters of your super boating week end. I have only really been on a nice boat once and I loved it so I can understand why you are having so much fun.
    Have a great week end Sandee. Hope Opening Day is as much fun and I am sure it will be.

  6. The Coast Guard has come a long way for women since my hubby was a Coastie in the late '60s. What a treat this whole adventure was. I'm glad I could 'attend' right along with you, Sandee.

    I'm sure you have another great w/e planned. Enjoy! Big hugs...

  7. I am proud to mention that know Sandee the mighty!
    Have a great weekend!

  8. What a great time you had and it sounds like you got the chance to meet some truly wonderful people!

    What a nice surprise to get that beautiful plaque, too! I'm sure you and Zane are going to enjoy this event for years to come!

  9. I'm impressed by the who's who that you got to rub elbows with.

  10. What a fun adventure! Nice to meet you through entrecard. Clair at

  11. BIG HUGS, great series of posts Sandee and can tell from them what a great time you had. Bet you can't wait for next year to roll around :-)

  12. Not only great fun, but worthwhile.


Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥