Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Baby Back Ribs

Some time back I posted a photograph of baby back ribs along with our weekend plans with our boat neighbors. My husband loves to cook almost anything, but baby back ribs is a specialty of his. His recipe for this feast is from a Sara Moulton cookbook named sara moulton cooks at home. The recipe that hubby follows is named Slow-Roasted Spiced Baby Back Ribs. Here's what Sara say about this recipe:
One of my all time favorite trips for "Cooking Live' was to Memphis to cover the huge annual barbecue cook-off there. It is an astounding event that attracts more than 200 teams from all around the country, from funky little crews of like-minded friends to heavily financed corporate outfits. Everyone competes not just for the best ribs but also for the best booth. Some of the so-called booths are two stories high and extremely elaborate.

Although most of the teams party hard for three days straight--the beer flows--everyone also stays very focused on the cooking. If I'd never understood it before, I do now: Barbecuing, done right, is clearly and art that takes years to perfect. I have never eaten such great meat anywhere.

When it was all over, we had Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's Barbecue, from Decatur, Alabama--one of that year's champs--come onto the show to show us how they make their ribs. Even cooking in an oven instead of on a grill, and without the benefit of the smoking process, Chris's ribs were absolutely delicious. His secret? Slow and low. In Memphis I'd heard this time and again. Everyone has his or her secret rub and marinade and sauce, but there is one thing on which everyone agrees; slow and low.

I decided to develop my own version of oven-baked ribs. Here it is.

(A word to the wise: If you boil your ribs before you grill or roast them, don't even think about going to Memphis. That is a terrible barbecue no-no.)
6 pounds baby back ribs
1/4 cup sweet or hot paprika
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup chili powder
5 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or more to taste
1 recipe Rick's Barbecue Sauce (page 343) or your favorite store-bought barbecue sauce

Use your fingers to pull off and remove the thin papery skin from the back of each rib. Combine the paprika, salt, sugar, chili powder, garlic, cumin, mustard, and cayenne in a small bowl and mix well. Rub the mixture all over the ribs. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 250°F. Place the ribs meat side up in one layer on several sheet pans and bake, turning from time to time, until very tender, 3 1/2 to 4 hours. About 30 minutes before the ribs are done, remove them from the oven and brush liberally on all sides with the barbecue sauce. bake until very tender. Serve additional sauce on the side.

Hubby and I share one rack of ribs so he lessens this recipe to accommodate one or two racks of ribs. I must they they are the best ribs I've ever had. Fall off the bone, finger licking delicious.
Share This


  1. I will do it tomorrow because today I have already baked my lunch.

  2. I could do this and would it ever impress my family (except for the vegetarian).

    I've eaten at Big Bob Gibson's and MAN ALIVE that is some good barbecue!

  3. I love slow cooked baby backs. One of my favorite foods. Topped with Big Bob's red or white sauce?! Heaven!

  4. Hi
    I am a strict vegetarian! Still I enjoyed reading the article! Cheers!

  5. yum! No you're making me hungry... LOL!

  6. Those look delicious. And thanks for the recipe. Will get all the ingredients and give it a try. I have been wanting barbecue forever. And that looks like the best ever. Have a great day.

  7. oh yummy! we don't cook them any more because we can't grill but we still love them! i used to bake them covered plain in the oven and then grill them with sauce. delicious.

    smiles, bee

  8. Mmmmm - Love, love, love ribs - can't get good bar-b-que up north. Ok, can't get ANY bar-b-que up north - philistines!

  9. Dang...the menu fer today just changed... ;)

  10. Those look and sound delicious. Is that what I'd have for Valentines? That might cinch our deal!

    I don't barbque at all. Mrs. Jim used to cook that way some before we gave the grill away.
    My theory is that having men do this sets them up to cook. Just tell the man how good his stuff is and he will cook forever.
    Men are supposed to hunt, the women are supposed to cook. :)

  11. it sounds so delicious!! i need to find me a man that cooks! lol

  12. Oh geez, it's luch time and I'm HUNGRY!

  13. I'm a non strict vegetarian. I only eat vegetables when meat is unavailable. I am a BBQ fan, mostly Texas style. It's about the only good to come out of Texas.

  14. Thank you for posting the recipe, I can't wait to try this. I love BBQ ribs. yummy!!!

  15. sounds delicious. May have to give it a try

  16. Yummy, that looks much better than some of the slop we've been feeding on lately. Everything that takes more than 5 minutes and one pan is off the menu these days. Haha.

  17. I should have read this post after dinner not before. I am now officially starved and regardless what I eat this evening, my mind will be seeing those ribs, yummy

  18. I dont even like ribs but this is making me hungry...btw thanks for the birthday wishes ;)

  19. I'm not really a rib person, but they DO sound yummy.

    Big hugs xo

  20. Willy likes this rib recipe. Willy will give kudos to Comedy Plus and post a link on Willy's cooking website.

    10-4 Willy

  21. Next time I'm out in Central California tell Zane I'm coming over for ribs! I'll bring the wine!

  22. Those look so good that i just had to swipe one of them ribs,yum yum they were good.

  23. Dick and I both LOVE BBQ ribs. Just had some last night, as a matter of fact.

    I'll be over and bring you a scarf. And wine. Howz that for bribery??? What color would you like for that scarf?!!!

    Big hugs, honey...

  24. Thank goodness I read this. I'll stop boiling them first right now.

  25. ... and I want to come over for ribs, too. Just sayin'.



Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥