Friday, December 4, 2009

Change of Watch

Tonight I am the host of our annual change of watch dinner. It's when each flag officer advances to the next chair in the yacht club, with the outgoing commodore advancing to staff commodore. Last year I was thrilled to start my first year as a flag officer. A rear commodore is responsible for executing all the drive in meetings (5) and then setting up the cruise outs (6) for the following year. Tonight is my last drive in function.

Our truck is currently loaded with wine (I've been hauling cases of it around all year for birthdays and anniversaries), two bags of toys for our Christmas 94571 (toys for tots), raffle gifts, and a gift for each couple from hubby and I. Well, it's Christmas you know. The really great part...when we leave the function tonight we won't have anything to haul away. Wonderful.

Tonight I will be sworn in as the vice commodore. This is a thrilling moment for me. It will shift my responsibilities and prepare me to assume the position of commodore next year. There is much work in each of the flag positions, and the bottom line is...we do this so all the other members of the club can enjoy different venues at different restaurants and many wonderful yacht clubs. I'm looking forward to a very fun-filled year. Now bring on the good weather so I can go boating.
Share This

28 comments:

  1. You're doing well there. Congrats and enjoy your night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you the very best in your new position.
    I'm sure you will do a great job for all the other members - and have lots of fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, sounds impressive

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo Hoo! Sounds like lots of fun! Much more exciting than painting!

    Have a blast! I'll lift my glass tonight to toast the new Vice Commodore! Big Hugs ♥xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a commodore once, but Lionel Ritchie beat me out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Sounds like a fun evening. I'm sure you wil make it so for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very cool! i salute you! it sounds like such fun, enjoy every minute!

    smiles, bee
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandee, you vice commodore you, how cool, we are getting snow here in Louisiana, will sail through it though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! While it sounds like a lot of work all year, I can tell you enjoy it immensely and are very proud of your role. As we are of you for doing it so well. Happy boating, Commodore-to-be!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the promotion Sandee. It sounds like you will have a great time!

    I have been hauling around sparring gear, jackets, books, musical instruments, comic books shoes... my car sounds significantly less glamorous than your win filled car :)

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got chills reading this.

    I know you will be great in fulfilling your responsibilities.

    I am sure Zane will be taking a shot or two...we'd sure love to see them.

    are we swabbies allowed to hug a vice commodore?
    smile

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katherine - I'll post some pictures in a few days. Yes, hugs are always welcome. Hugs to you and The Teamster. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations. Glad you have plenty of wine to celebrate this big responsibility. Hope you have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! This is seriously great. Congratulations!! :) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope vice commodore is all you want it to be.

    Have fun tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahoy!
    Reciprocity Rules, fellow yacht-club-ee


    Aloha, Friend!


    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on your new position!Big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on your new position, it sounds impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aye, aye! All aboard!

    Have fun distributing all the goodies. I'm sure it will be a memorable occasion.

    Now, commence with the boating!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats and big hugs from rainy Rio! We feel sooo much better after a nap.

    Enjoy your new position, Sandee. I look forward to this new journey with you...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it is wonderful that you have an interest that you and your spouse can share and both enjoy so much. Happy yachting, and may you have a blessed Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Smooth waters and fair sailing.

    Congratulations on a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aye! Aye! Vice Commodore! Fabulous to be so involved in your boating community.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! Very interesting and impressive! Congratulations... on both finishing your year as rear commodore (time to let someone else have all the fun! Ha!) and on starting as vice commodore! What a fun thing it is that you guys do!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Vice Commodore! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Vice Commodore. Does that mean you are in charge of all the gambling and prostitution on board?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations!! We know how much you love boating.

    ReplyDelete
  28. now this is the life!!! eeeee haaaaa!!! way to go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥