Sunday, September 27, 2009

Entrecard Changes

Well, here we go again with the paid ad thing. First there wasn't going to be paid ads, and now there are. I'm not sure just how this will work, but everyone that knows me knows I don't do paid ads. OF. ANY. KIND. It appears that none of us have a choice in rejecting paid ads when the new policy kicks in on Monday. Well, for those of us that refuse to do ads that doesn't leave us much choice does it?
 So, I'm going to sit on the sidelines for a bit and see what happens. What a shame too. I really like Entrecard.

Hot off the press as of this morning:

Hello Entrecarders,

We just wanted to update everyone that the sponsor ads will be postponed for another week, until Oct. 5, 2009. When it is implemented, users will have the option to opt out of the sponsor ads program completely for a small fee. For just $50 a year, you can have your widget free of sponsor ads. We have provided this option for those of you who are concerned about the sponsor ads. Thank you for your support.

I'm not paying 50 bucks a year to keep ads off my site. I can keep ads off my site by dumping Entrecard. Duh!

I've just given all my EC to my nine tops droppers. I currently have three EC remaining and I've disabled ads on my widget. I guess I've made my decision.
Share This


  1. I'm really considering leaving EntreCard with the latest dealings with their paid ads fiasco, on their most recent blog post they have said that you can remove all paid ads! As long as you pay them $50 a year, yeah right! I can see me forking that out, I don't think!

  2. Oh, my gosh! I hadn't read any of this about changes on Friday. Perhaps I'll do just what Karen mentioned - leave Entrecard altogether.

  3. $50 dollars a year? I'll have to head over and see what this new post says.

    I don't want t leave them altogether either. thanks for posting this Sandee. I am headed over now!!

    No matter I will never be top dropper again. I have really loved the freedom of not spending hours doing drops.

    Thanks for the heads up!

  4. Sandee,
    I will try to keep up too, hell i don't know nuthin bout no paid ads yet.
    Thanks and Hugs

  5. Sandee, they have posted an announcement that the paid ad program has been postponed until October the 5th.

    Apparently, they aren't going to run any paid ads until they have everything set to go at once. I just reopened my widget for ads and as long as they don;t stick anything unwanted on there I will be staying.

    But, as I said above I will never again be a top dropper. I have loved the free time. I will simply drop when I am visited all of my friends!!

    Happy boating out there!!

  6. I've written a bit about this on my blog. Check out EntreCard Updates for my post about this and how it relates to the broader context, including sites like Adgitize and CMF Ads. Personally, I like Adgitize best. It has worked very well for me. However, with Adgitize, you have almost no control over which ads appear. CMF Ads gives the best control, but also probably the least amount of traffic.

    I've also created a survey about which advertising networks people use. I would encourage you and all your readers to fill out the survey. I'll report more detailed data later, but at least initially, it seems like CMF ads is the most popular.

  7. I have posted comments three times in the EC blog forum comments, they've have never been posted to read? Well I do not make money on any of my blogs and I can not see paying 50.00 a year just to keep ads off my blog. I am a novice blogger so I'm searching other means of promotion for my blogs. Must people who leave comments are not EC visitors. Even thought I love EC and really like the blogs I visit.I would hate to leave.However I Entrecard. I will start this week to make a Blog list of the blogs I like to visit. Because I am pretty sure I will have to Exit Entrecard. My daughter and other children visit my blogs and I can't afford to have unappropriated ads for them.

  8. Wow...I cannot believe how much they are changing things! I thought one of the perks to the new management was that things weren't going to change like this. Not really sure what the benefit is it using them now.

  9. Well, the $50 did it for me. I'm not paying that kind of money NOT to get something I don't want. My ads will run and then I'm out of there. So, what will everyone be doing with all their free time now? I know! Let's write more on our blogs!

  10. I never saw the $50 thing (I don't spend a lot of time on the site, except to drop from). I can understand that making you angry, especially since you don't do any advertising. I feel badly that some of my favorite blogs are leaving.

  11. My My My Sandi, you got the natives all stirred up today. I think I'm going to just play along for the time being and see what suprises they pop on us october 5th. needless to say, I've bookmarked and subscribed to all my favorite blogs and will continue to visit them without the aid of Entrecard - should worse come to worse, which I am totally expecting. thanks for the update.

  12. I agree with you the "new and updated version"suck just as bad,i know of several people that Have left Entre Card already.The reson being several of my ads were rejected with the explanation that they were quitting entre card.That is a shame they are driving bloggers away instead of bring them in.That is why I took dow the recrutment ad from my site and posted my latest rant.

  13. Hmmm... I didn't know about the paid ads being resurrected. I really should stop deleting EC's emails eh?

    $50 a year? And it's not even April 1st.

  14. I seen your message that you were leaving EntreCard.

    I commented on their blog that I already pay $60 per year to not have paid ads on my blog; it's called paying for your own site. For $60 per year you could have your own domain and hosting. It's not worth it.

    Feel free to keep visiting my sites. You're all always welcome there.

  15. Sandee -- I rejoined EC recently because I was hopeful about new management. I may be leaving again. I'm not sure what I'm doing yet and I hate that we even have all this gnashing of the teeth over it every couple months. Oh, how I miss the old EC. BTW, EC people, $50 is not a small fee.

  16. Kathy - You are correct, $50 is not a small fee. Not at all. I guess the bottom line for me is the constant turmoil (gnashing of the teeth) every couple of months. Say what you mean and mean what you say. :)

  17. Hi,

    When EntreCard started with the PaidAds routine, I refused them... With EC now running a referral program as well, its just become another junk exchange.

    I held off leaving in hopes that the new owners would bring life back into EC. I should have stuck to my instincts.

    My traffic sharing program, "Along for the Ride!" has done remarkably better then EC for quality traffic in its short life thanks to its many good members. I'll just have more time to work on it soon.

  18. EC is far away from my idea of personal blogging.
    I don't even gave Google ads.

    Ad's might be suitable for some of my future blogs, but then I'll tell people there will be ad's and all the money will be used for travel expences - visting blogger friends around the globe.
    But, I'm still at work - - -

    btw. I think you have a clue regarding my Guess where. If you have time and curiousity to find out where did George Sand live. As I gave a link to.

    haha - two days off work. Just relaxe - exept for 7 predators - Cats and kittens. Puh and puur and mieeooowww

  19. Willy is leaving entrecard - too much hassle - Willy does make fairly good money on his sites but it is just to keep the internet bills paid. - It is not like Willy is making enough to stock up the liquor cabinet. Willy is tired of worrying about dropping and having ads running and who has dropped and who willy has dropped on and whether anyone cares etc.

    So here you go - Willy is done - may go back some day but not with paid ads.
    10-4 Willy - Entrecard Free.

  20. Too bad you are dropping Entrecard, I understand they need to make money to support their services and am sticking with them.

  21. Steve - I understand their need to make money. I've just vowed to never do paid ads. Ever. I've spent lots of money buying EC from Entrecard.

  22. Willy has dumped entrecard and encourages others to until they decide differently about paid ads. Willy hs developed the following picture to display - feel free to use. from Willys site.

  23. I think I left EC about a year ago. I sure don't miss EC one little bit. Since I don't make money from my site, I don't want lots of idle traffic. I set out to find blogs I enjoy and visitors I enjoy with whom I feel a common bond.

    Oh, and my wrist doesn't miss EC either.

  24. Sandee, as you know, I hastily made a post yesterday in regards to this new announcement. I truly misunderstood and thought this was what everyone was asking for.

    I also had not been out there for over a week doing drops. I was shocked myself to see that most of my favorite blogs are leaving.

    So now here I am on the side lines again waiting to see what will take place on October 5th.

    Much like Barb said, I visit most of my favorite blogs via my blog roll anyway. Luckily for me I spent last week grabbing everyone's links.

    I do know I seem to once again feel a burden and not the fun it once was. I don't like the feel of that weight on my shoulders.

    But, as for now, I am leashing this Texas tornado and not making anymore announcements. If I leave I will simply cancel everything and leave quietly this time!!

    But, as I explained to Mike, for us, when I finally choose a company to go with for a shopping cart and get some products designed for sale, this $50 fee will be a tax deduction.

    But, after I slowed down and gave this some real thought, to pay $50 a year and still be expected to make so many drops everyday is asking a great deal!!

    Either way I go, I will always always be here to visit you and hope with all of my heart that you will always drop by to see me!!

  25. Figures, I just joined EC and everyone is leaving. (I checked to see if my deodorant is on too). All kidding aside, this really does stink. I have met some great bloggers in such a short time from EC. But with my site from the beginning I decided to build traffic by posting a lot of fresh content and drive people in from that. I used EC to help bring in traffic, but for what I can see the EC traffic is very transient and time spent on my blog has been minimal, Drop then leave. I am glad I got to meet many of you who are deciding to leave. I will make an effort to keep coming back to my favorite blogs. Sandee is on the top of my list and I am proud to say I met her without EC, so stick that in your hat Mr new EC who ever you may be.

  26. ridiculous...a $50 dollars a year? no way.

  27. I see that you still have the EC widget. Just wondering how things were going over there. I dropped them as soon as they announced the $50 thing as well. Just became too much to handle, I didn't have time to return drops anymore either. So, really it was unfair to those who advertised on my site.


Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥