Friday, August 7, 2009

White Lie

Alice Grayson was to bake a cake for the Baptist Church Ladies' Group in Tuscaloosa, but forgot to do it until the last minute. She remembered it the morning of the bake sale and after rummaging through cabinets, found an angel food cake mix & quickly made it while drying her hair, dressing, and helping her son pack up for Scout camp.

When she took the cake from the oven, the center had dropped flat and the cake was horribly disfigured and she exclaimed, "Oh dear, there is not time to bake another cake!" This cake was important to Alice because she did so want to fit in at her new church, and in her new community of friends.

So, being inventive, she looked around the house for something to build up the center of The cake. She found it in the bathroom - a roll of toilet paper. She plunked it in and then covered it with icing. Not only did the finished product look beautiful, it looked perfect.

And, before she left the house to drop the cake by the church and head for work, Alice woke her daughter and gave her some money and specific instructions to be at the bake sale the moment it opened at 9:30 and to buy the cake and bring it home. When the daughter arrived at the sale, she found the attractive, perfect cake had already been sold. Amanda grabbed her cell phone and called her mom.

Alice was horrified-she was beside herself! Everyone would know! What would they think? She would be ostracized, talked about, ridiculed! All night, Alice lay awake in bed thinking about people pointing fingers at her and talking about her behind her back.

The next day, Alice promised herself she would try not to think about the cake and would attend the fancy luncheon/bridal shower at the home of a fellow church member and try to have a good time.

She did not really want to attend because the hostess was a snob who more than once had looked down her nose at the fact that Alice was a single parent and not from the founding families of Tuscaloosa , but having already RSVP'd, she couldn't think of a believable excuse to stay home.

The meal was elegant, the company was definitely upper crust old south and to Alice's horror, the cake in question was presented for dessert! Alice felt the blood drain from her body when she saw the cake! She started out of her chair to tell the hostess all about it, but before she could get to her feet, the Mayor's wife said, "what a beautiful cake!"

Alice, still stunned, sat back in her chair when she heard the hostess (who was a prominent church member) say, "Thank you, I baked it myself."

Alice smiled and thought to herself, "God is good.”

Hat tip: Duffy L.
Share This

36 comments:

  1. What must always be careful what you're bragging about :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH OH OH THAT WAS GOOD!!!!!

    Hey ... here I am again and about time, huh?

    I weighed 175 but I didn't weigh at my usual time. The rest of the week it's been 174 or 173. My intention is to be 172 by THIS SATURDAY. I didn't eat after 7 pm tonight~! Not even after 6~! So ... with a little luck, and a lot more walking (I've upped it to half an hour) I'll get there.

    Have I mentioned lately how much I like you? I mean REALLY like you? I might even want to pick out curtains with you. :) LOL

    Hug hug hug!!!

    Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. bwahahahaha! Somehow though, I don't think Alice and the snobby hostess will ever become chummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL That's so funny! Wouldn't you love to be there when she cut it open :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. God is good, indeed He is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like the ladies at the Baptist Church my in-laws attend. Always worried about the approval of others. I'm going to have to e-mail this to my MIL. Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, I knew I was going to like this one! That is just toooooo Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story! Thanks for the morning smile...I needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. aha! all's well that ends well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. saved by a lie huh... lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant...I'm still laughing over this one!
    Have a great weekend. Big hugs, honey...

    ReplyDelete
  12. you've gotta' love a baptist!

    smiles, bee
    xxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh yeah - love it...

    ReplyDelete
  14. God! What goes around comes around again. Funny. I've never had angel food Charmin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha ha ha she is so lucky! Very funny thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had heard that story before but had forgotten it. So glad you shared it. I used to think about it every time I saw a row of cakes at a bake sale, wondering what might be hidden beneath the icing of each.

    I've been somewhat slack is visiting blogs lately. Thanks for continuing to visit and comment anyway. I've had lots going on.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As long as there IS cake ... I AM happy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome. I've heard of sheet cake, but never two-ply.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha ha ha! Sweet is revenge. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ha ha ha I love it!
    God is good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a perfect story, actually had me hanging right up until the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL have a great weekend Sandee loves and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That was a good one. I sent it to my Mom : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. Served her right!
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ha Ha. Never claim responsibility for something you didn't do! Funny indeed, as with all your other posts.

    Hope all has been going well. Thanks for stopping by, and here's hoping that you have a great week too :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOL...I was raised a Baptist...I can relate!!

    Sandy please know I have been in a great deal of pain for a few weeks now.

    I was trying to ride it out but it got the best of me these last few days.

    My neighbor took me in to the DR. today and sciatic nerve is pinched.

    I am only telling you now because I would never want you to think I had just been ignoring you!!

    big hugs and happy happy weekend!!;-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sandee, that joke was spot on! Gave me the laugh I needed today. Hope you have a sailing good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOL...
    LOL...
    LOL...
    Hope I didn't wake anyone in the house!!! This is soooooo funny.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh hahahahahahaha, that was way cool... yep, way cool.... funny one...
    Much love, hugs and :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  30. hahahahaha
    thats very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Serves her right, that lying wench. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  32. This has been the best laugh for me today. Love it! TFS

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥