Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Food Chain

In the dead of summer, a fly was resting on a leaf beside a lake. It was a hot, dry fly who said to no one in particular: "Gosh, if I go down three inches, I will feel the mist from the water and I will be refreshed."

There was a fish in the water, thinking, "Gosh, if that fly goes down three inches, I can eat him."

There was a bear on the shore, thinking, "Gosh, if that fly goes down three inches, that fish will jump for the fly and I will eat him."

It also happened that a hunter was farther up the bank of the lake preparing to eat a cheese sandwich. "Gosh," he thought, "if that fly goes down three inches, and that fish leaps for it, that bear will expose himself and grab for the fish, at which point I'll shoot the bear and then have a proper trophy."

You think this is enough activity for one bank of one lake? There is more.

A wee mouse down by the hunter's foot was thinking, "Gosh, if that fly goes down three inches and that fish jumps for that fly, and that bear grabs for that fish, the dumb hunter will shoot the bear and drop his cheese sandwich."

A cat luking in the bushes took in this scene and thought, as was fashionable to do on the bank of this particular lake around lunch time, "Gosh, if that fly goes down three inches and that fish jumps for that fly and that bear grabs for that fish and that hunter shoots that bear, and the mouse makes off with the cheese sandwich then I can have mouse for lunch."

The poor fly is finally so hot and so dry that he heads down for the cooling mist of the water.

The fish swallows the fly.

The bear grabs the fish.

The hunter shoots the bear.

The mouse grabs the cheese sandwich.

The cat jumps for the mouse.

The mouse ducks, and

The cat falls into the water and drowns.

The moral of this story is:

Whenever a fly goes down three inches, some pussy is probably in danger.

Stolen from: Hale McKay of It Occurred To Me
Share This


  1. An ecological treatise on the balance of nature wrapped up nicely :-)

  2. LOL! All the others got what they wished for except the cat. :)

  3. Wow this was just fabulous story. I have enjoyed her so greeeeatly. Thank you for the unforgettable reading.

    It would be more than just fine to master the language as you do. Yet I recognize myself in a fly of your story and thus my sincerity talk about the danger to the pussy.
    In the light of the above, the low page rank of my blog guards the potential reader from falling into the trap of the disabler's musing that leads ... nowhere

    Sorry for these weepy thoughts, I have enjoyed your story very-very-very much. The symbolism was so obvious here - I just couldn't not to recall my art by Tomas blog...

  4. did you google fly farts to find that graphic, Sandee? hahahaha!

  5. Gosh,if those kinds of animals at the chain food do their activities for survival, the hunter (human) just do it for fun.. I think it's so irony to me...

  6. Ah, the circle of life! Hahahahaha.

  7. lol! thanks for the morning laugh!

  8. oh i didn't see THAT coming! ha ha ha good one!

    smiles, bee

  9. what goes around comes around

  10. funny pic/graphic.. lol.. a good one again Sandee. i needed a good laugh. :D

  11. bwahahahaha.

    THAT was money, baby. money, money, money.

  12. kewl... reminds me of a childhood story that my grandma used to tell me :)

    take care mate.. .cheers...

  13. Life is complicated!

  14. when I first saw the picture I almost fell out of my chair laughing so hard! Now this is the way to start your day!big time hugs,my friend.

  15. Not what I expected! Haha...good one and very true:-)

    Have a great Thursday. Big hugs, honey...

  16. No doubt about it. snerx

  17. And it comes out here....

    Aloha ha ha-

    Comfort Spiral

  18. Great story. Too bad I cannot tell anyone without a printout. My memory is not very good.

  19. I really like this cartoon with flies. It is totally awesome.

  20. LOL... I love this one...
    Reminds me of "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly..." if you want the whole song, email me... LOL

  21. LOL... I love this one...
    Reminds me of "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly..." if you want the whole song, email me... LOL

  22. I don't know which was funnier. The picture or the story :o)

  23. Feel kind of sorry for the cat ;-)

  24. In ther version I heard hat cat didn't drown, and the moral was not about some pussy being in danger, but simply that some pussy was likely to get wet.

  25. This is the real domino effect!

  26. Poor cat :D
    Awesome story :)

  27. Those ducking mice. ha! (I almost said a naughty word!!!) hee.

    I weigh 175.5 today ... and I have been doing SO well ... meaning eating less than USUAL ... but at least I'm not pushing 180 like I was.

    Gosh darn it, I wish there were a rule that would make our weight STICK at the lowest weight we reached, and require intervention and behavior modification ONLY to make it go up.

    There ought to be a SWITCH. The doctor would flip it and BINGO BANGO the weight would come down.

    How was your weekend? A birthday party, huh?


    My hubby and boy are gone so I am getting work done now that the painting is done and they are off.

    Got to get back to preparing my notes for this weekend. I am SO dang excited to teach that children's seminar this weekend!!!

  28. Oh WOW, that did not occur to me along the storyline... hahahahaha, but TRUE, TRUE, TRUE.... ahahahahahahahahaha, loved it!!!!
    Much love, hugs and :)))))


Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥