Tuesday, April 28, 2009


Comments made in the year 1955! That's only 54 years ago!

'I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $10.00.'

'Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $1, 000.00 will only buy a used one.'

'If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. 20 cents a pack is ridiculous.'

'Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging 7 cents just to mail a letter.'

'If they raise the minimum wage to $1.00, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store.'

'When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 25 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage.'

'I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more. Ever since they let Clark Gable get by with saying DAMN in GONE WITH THE WIND, it seems every new movie has either HELL or DAMN in it.'

'I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century. They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas.'

'Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $50,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the President.'

'I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now.'

'It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet.'

'It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work.'

'I'm afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business.'

'Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to government.'

'The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on.'

'There is no sense going on short trips anymore for a weekend, it costs nearly $2.00 a night to stay in a hotel.'

'If they think I'll pay 30 cents for a hair cut, forget it.'

Hat tip: My sister ♥Debbie♥
Share This


  1. It's not all bad news... my check to my business internet host in Hawaii still only costs $.42 to mail.

    Have a wonderful day, Sandee!

  2. lol... i remember this one :)

    take care mate... cheers...

  3. This is great!
    We can have an idea of how much quality of life has changed.

  4. Oh heck, I was made in 1950 so I'm older than these and I remember when....

  5. A few of these are stretching the truth just a bit. I would guess that hair cuts were closer to a dollar and I don't believe there was a minimum wage until after 1960. Still, they were simpler times and, in many ways, better times.

  6. And the killer is that someone will write about our reactions in 2009 and they will sound as silly...

  7. oh sweet jesus, can you believe how times have changed???

  8. A politician must have come up with these numbers for a campaign!

  9. amazing isn't it??? while it might seem that this time too will seem like we were whiners, it is true that wages never rose with inflation, as it did back then, and thus, we are in this mess, well, with the help of the brilliant gov. ....
    have a great day, much love, hugs and :))))

  10. Wow! That's all I can say! Hugs & loves Sandee!! :D

  11. That's a little scary.

    I wonder how much everything will cost in $50 years.

    But I guess it doesn't really matter as long as pay goes up as well.

  12. One of my personal favorites from 1955. I used to say this one a lot. "I gotta go potty!"

  13. i do remember these and i also made seventy five cents an hour at my first job!

    smiles, bee

  14. 54 years ago really is not that long ago, but it sounds like centuries :o)

  15. I can't even begin to imagine what it'll be like in 50 years time!

  16. Time flies and the dollar shrinks! Big hugs honey...

  17. I love the Clark Gable quote! True, true. I actually don't mind some colorful language when it's a film about the Mob, for example.

  18. I wasn't "borned" then... LOL!

  19. Me neither Lois - everything was already expensive by the time I came around.

  20. Me neither Lois - everything was already expensive by the time I came around.

  21. I'm born in '52 - this post made me feel you again :lol:

  22. I was 3 years old in 1955 and my parents welcomed their second child that yeart as well Sanda Lee Golch arrived.

  23. 30 cents for a haircut! Wouldn't that be great?

  24. Brings back some very fond memories - 1955 was the year I was born and it was an oldie but goodie :);)

  25. It took a couple of years to get the minimum to 1.00 the old sarge finished high school in 1955....add that to your list

  26. I remember pumping gas for $.25 per gallon. That was expensive.

    I think there was a governmental regulation keeping the price down.

  27. Willy was five years old and Willy remembers saying "Man my dad is Old"

    Well, guess what Willy is now 15 years older than that.

    10-4 Willy

  28. the same things are in our focus...

    I wonder if the price of a meal at Cancun has gone up since 2008???

    looking forward to finding out...

  29. The only thing that has gone down in value is my net worth!

    2 dollar hotels sound scary ;-)

  30. Makes me wonder what they'll be chuckling at fifty years from now.

  31. ... prolly one billion "Earth Currency" tacos (he heee)

  32. Speedcat's making too much sense!
    I was born in '47 and remember buying hamburgers for .$15. I said I'd quit smoking when cigs cost $1.00 per pack. I quit at $.75.
    We drove to San Francisco in '78 and had a conniption fit at paying $.75 per gallon...and on and on it goes.

  33. Just add inflation and update the prices and it sounds exactly as it does today.


  34. Haha, I've seen some of these before. There's another one coming from a popular figure in technology, and in the 60's he said "Really? The TV will be gone very soon, nobody wants to sit in front of a box for the whole day"! Haha @ the cigarette one too

  35. Our oldest son is 16 and is on the high school football team. He said they were in the weight room working out, when an oldies song came on the radio.

    When he said the name of the song, I realized it was one of my favorites in high school.



    Eat Well. Live Well.

  36. You have a High Five from me HERE! :-)

  37. Ah yez ... methinks I actually SAID a few of those things myself and certainly heard them from the adults in my life at the time. Thanks for the memories and the perspective ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,


Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥