Thursday, February 23, 2012

More Suthenism's

Put 100 Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they're related, even if only by marriage.

In the South,y'all is singular, all y'all is plural.

Southerners know grits come from corn and how to eat them.

Every Southerner knows tomatoes with eggs, bacon, grits, and coffee are perfectly wonderful; that red eye gravy is also a breakfast food; and that fried green tomatoes are not a breakfast food.

When you hear someone say, "Well, I caught myself lookin'," you know you are in the presence of a genuine Southerner!

Only true Southerners say "sweet tea" and "sweet milk." Sweet tea indicates the need for sugar and lots of it -- we do not like our tea unsweetened... "Sweet milk" means you don't want buttermilk.

And a true Southerner knows you don't scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 MPH on the freeway. You just say,"Bless her heart".... and go your own way.

To those of you who are still a little embarrassed by your Southerness: Take two tent revivals and a dose of sausage gravy and call me in the morning. Bless your heart!

And to those of you who are still having a hard time understanding all this Southern stuff.....bless your hearts, I hear they are fixin' to have classes on Southernness as a second language!

Hat tip: My Alabama buddies Dave and Linda
Share This

21 comments :

  1. I'm proud to be an honorary suthernah, shugah.

    Big hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the South,y'all is singular, all y'all is plural.


    I never knew when someone was talking to just me or to all my friends at once. This clears it up. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Sandee, we don't say y'all unless addressing two or more.

    Mrs. Jim has what she calls 'double cousins.' She is a cousin from both her father's and mother's side of the family. Some are like first AND second cousins.

    I like most all Southern food except ocra. But I am excused from that because I am only a naturalized Texan, naturalized by the mayor of Friendswood, Texas. I have dual citizenship because I was born in Nebraska.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cousin Amy and I are "double cousins" so I don't think that's a Southern thing at all - for me it's as close to a sister as I'll ever get.

    If only we New Englanders could be as quaint as our Southern neighbors but alas, I'm afraid we're more stuffy than quaint in these parts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Put 100 Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they're related, even if only by marriage."

    So true!. I was working at Dillards with this lady and we got to talkin' and found out we were related!

    An old friend describes it as "Suthun' innahbreedin."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I can finally understand Paula Deen while my arteries are clogging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen Steve, I agree. When I watch Paula, my mouth waters and my arteries harden. Man that woman can cook!! Yes em she can....


    Have a great day Sandee, great post! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. And Paula was a skinny 'thang' when she was in high school with me:) I can understand her perfectly, of course, shugah. Y'all come now, ya hee-yah!

    Thanks for the smiles. Big hugs, honey...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are all great! Fried wild rabbit with gravy and buttermilk biscuits is my choice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'Bless her heart' is one of the best ones. Those are all so darn true. Thanks for the great chuckle.

    Mom is all right for now. Has to go have scans in a couple of months.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have so much to learn from them! Especially not cursing about slow pokes on the road :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You left one out, when someone says something that is obviously stupid,you say "How 'bout that"
    Then you bless their heart and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I finally tried my first sausage and gravy biscuit. Tres magnifique!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do love Southern-isms - And if I'm lyin', I'm flyin' and my Mama weren't no blackbird!

    ReplyDelete
  15. well bless your heart for sharing all these with us northern folks

    ReplyDelete
  16. I live in Calif. now but I was raised in Tenn. so I know all that southern talk enjoyed your post

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want some biscuits and grits! I think.

    ReplyDelete
  18. And mangling "y'all" by spelling it "ya'll" drives us nuts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Most of us could use a couple of old fashioned tent revivals in our lives. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous2/28/2012

    Dear Sandee, Thanks so much for helping us educate a few Westerners. Also thought it was interesting how many of your friends are from "Down South".
    Actually okra is delicious, if dipped in buttermilk - then cornmeal and fried hot and quick!
    Yum, Yum...
    Ya'll come when ya can.
    Dave and Linda

    ReplyDelete
Show Emoticons

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogosphere. All comments are very much appreciated.

♥♥♥Have a terrific day.♥♥♥